new tank decision

drachen

Ok, so i currently have a 30g cube sitting on a 55g stand with a 20g sump and all that. The lights and plumbing all seem pretty shoddy seeing as that i got it off CL like 6mo ago. Im wondering if i should go for the RSM130 at my LFS for 700$ including a 1/13th chiller or put that money into a 55g and drill/plumb it into my current sump. I really like the whole "all-in-one" idea of an RSM after a couple mods. Just cant get myself to figure out what would be a better idea overall! :p for the 55g i could get a pretty much brand new 55g from a friend for 50$ then i could spend the 2-300$ for a decent t5 light set, but not sure how much its gonna be to drill/plumb the 55g also. damn decisions decisions. Well if anyone has some input that would be great! :)

LPS_Blasto

I've never been to impressed with the factory made tanks. They all need modifications and tweaking to make them work right. If you're going to go to that trouble, might as well DIY and make it the way you want it from the beginning. I will always encourage people to DIY. But I'm a project guy and I totally geek out on plumbing, water flow, drilling holes, light fixtures, retrofit kits etc.. It's all about the hardware!! I realize not everybody has the same personality as me, so I can't fault somebody for wanting a plug-n-play system. Like everything in life, there's pros and cons to each system.

You can save some serious cash with a DIY project. All it takes is a little investigation before you start spending money. Size your pump, sump, plumbing, bulk heads... then start slappin' holes in that sucker and go to town!! Take the money you saved and buy corals or nicer lights.

drachen

Ya I figure I would spend less than that 700$ to get a good light system and the tank itself.. just need to figure out all the overflow/pump stuff since I'm sure my current return to my 30g wouldn't cut it.

sent from my evo4g

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have run a stock RSM 130 for over two years & a stock RSM 250 for six months... imo the are the most beautiful tanks on the market

To see some of the success RSM owners have had... check out this thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

Here is a pic of my stock RSM

IMG_1530z.jpg

+1 to there's pros and cons to each system

glampka

If you're going with the 55 be sure the tank isn't from Marineland. They use tempered glass throughout on that size tank & you can't drill that.

vubben

$700 for a 130 and a chiller sounds like a great deal. Ran mine stock for a while just fine. I've since done many upgrades but none out of absolute necessity... except for replacing the original heater which are well known to have problems.
I'm with Glenn... I think they are a great looking tank.

c33ccef6.jpg

catran

Yeah it's a great deal. I paid $800 for mine and then I had to pay over $300 for a chiller! I love my RSM 130D so I'm going to copy Glenn and start a RSM 250!

drachen

well i went with it and got the RSM130 and the chiller, kinda sucks its not the D variation but i still like it so far. Ordered a 9002 and media rack and should be good to go after that! :)

drachen

Now im just wondering how im going to make the switch from current system to the new one. I want this one in the same spot so Im not sure what i should do with the livestock while i drain/move the old tank and get the new one in there. Gonna take time and im not sure how/where im going to keep the LS while doing it. :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
congrats on the new tank & chiller... the new 130D lights work in the 130 tanks... so this is huge 20% improvement over stock 130 ones

an a surface skimmer cup can be added pretty cheap from Marine Depot - be a lot like a 130D then & with a 9002 & StevieT mediarack - really nice additions - many run them...

good luck with your new tank ! when I went from my 130 to my 250, I cycled my 250, then moved over ... go slow almost always great advise

drachen

Well when I picked up the RSM they said it had brand new lights put into it. Hopefully they are the RSM130D ones since they say thats what they ship now for replacements.