New Tank build update

Wow i didnt even notice how deep your SB was until i saw that close up. That must have replaces about 15g of water!

It is about 5 inches deep on average. I am not sure how much space it took up. It is a deep bed but that is what I was told I needed. Guess I will see...

Jim

Last edited:
Wow i didnt even notice how deep your SB was until i saw that close up. That must have replaces about 15g of water!

I was told that I need 4 to 6 inches of sand when I put my tank together so I settled for 5 inches but now I am wondering if that is too deep. What do you guys think?

Jim

jgking21

I think it will work just fine, after you get other things in there it won't even be noticed!

Any word on the bead board?

Any word on the bead board?

I called them yesterday and they said they should mill it this week and hopefully get it out by Friday. I guess the slow economy has cut their production so they don't do the mill work until they have a number of orders to fill. Unfortunately I found out yesterday that I have to have surgery on my shoulder Thursday so I don't know when I will get to finish it.

Jim

jgking21

Jim, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Get well soon, you have to keep working on that wonderful setup!!!

Jim, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Get well soon, you have to keep working on that wonderful setup!!!

I may have to give my wife a crash course in the application of beaded oak and let her finish it. I thought about holding the nails and letting her hammer them in but I am not that brave... Jim

Now this is slick... I wanted to add a fan to help keep the MH lamps cool and I didn't want to stick some lousy looking table fan up there so I did a web search and came up with these fans.

Tropical Fish Decorative Figurine Electric Table Fan from Deco Breeze - DBF0368

My wife liked the pelican so that is the one we got. It seems to be a very well built fan. I plugged it into my MH timer so the fan comes on when the lights do. This really does look nice and I doubt anyone would even suspect it is a fan.

Jim

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Latest photo. Still waiting for the beaded oak but I spoke to the mill yesterday and they said it will be shipped the first of next week. Of course they told me the same story the week before. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

IMG_0216.jpg

My dry rock arrived today and I got it in the tank. Of course I know nothing about rock scape's so I will need advise... Hope I didn't cover too much sand bed. I want any sand loving critters, that might make it into the tank, to have enough space to survive. Please take a look at the photos and send me your thoughts. I moved three pieces of the LR from the tank down into the influent chamber of the sump. This will allow the water from the tank to flow around the LR before it moves to the skimmer chamber. Anyway, I am sure there is something haven't considered in this process so please send me your thoughts on the matter.

Oh, it's been 3 weeks now with the live rock in the tank and I still haven't seen any Nh3, No2 or No3. I am starting to grow some nice grassy algae and I am thinking I need to consider installing a cleaning crew fairly soon so it doesn't overgrow the tank but I don't want to risk loosing any critters to an ammonia spike.

Thanks again for the help, Jim

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

r2d2

That is a very nice project, congrats!
Aquascaping is, as many will tell, a matter of personal taste. I've change mine about four times.
One advice that I didnt listen is to put LR directly to tank, build all reef with stability and then put sand.
In my tank aquascaping was perfect until my goby star to dig and all rock move dangerously over my critters.
So... IMO you should take two or three large pieces of that dry rock, put them as a foundation and then aquascape over them. Now that you dont have any critter will be very easy.
Again congratulations for that beautyfull tank.
Greetings

The new aquascaping looks great. Your gonna be able to fill that up with corals nicely. Are you going to do SPS?

Eventually I hope to get some SPS. I am going to take my time and make sure the tank is well established. I am trying to educate myself on maintaining a proper reef tank and I came across some good information on calcium reactors. It is starting to look like there might be a DIY calcium reactor is in my future. I love building these kinds of projects. I just need to figure out the details and build one to fit my tank without taking up what little space I have under there.

Jim