New Tank build update

Well, I got the trim pieces stained and moved the stand and hood into the house today. I mounted the hood and got the ballasts in it and hung the light. I moved the stand into position and place the sump under it and I could tell right off that I need more room at the top of the front opening so I can reach into the sump to clean it. I plan to take the stand back out to the shop tomorrow and cut an additional 5 inches into the top of the front opening. I will move the trim to the door so I have enough room above the sump to get in and clean it. I find it really hard to bend my arm between my wrist and elbow. I want to make this modification now while it's an easy fix. I have the four floating shelves built and should get them sanded and stained tomorrow so I can mount them on the wall Saturday. As soon as they deliver my oak bead board I will get it cut to length, stained and mounted on the hood and stand.

Anyway, things are starting to shape up. I start a 10 day vacation on May 31 so I hope to have the tank on the stand and ready for water by the time I go back to work on June 7th. Of course I need to get a couple days of fishing in to so we will see how it goes.

Todays work:
IMG_0078.jpg

Plans:
scan0001.jpg

Jim

Jeremy0322

Nice Work! I dont know why that was so funny to me though, everything is all set up yet there isnt even a tank on the stand, its pretty amusing to me for some reason, maybe im just that tired.

Nice Work! I dont know why that was so funny to me though, everything is all set up yet there isnt even a tank on the stand, its pretty amusing to me for some reason, maybe im just that tired.

Well you got to have a stand before you can put a tank on it and that tank is so heavy that I didn't want ask my wife to help me lift it. It's a little too heavy for her to handle. My nephew is coming over today and I think i will get him to help me sit it up there so I can get a look at the whole thing. I will take another picture and post it later today so the rest of you can check it out. I have sat the tank on the stand once already so I know it fits fine. The real reward will come in a couple of months when the tank has fish in it.

Jim

jgking21

Looks awesome Jim! It does look somewhat odd with no tank, but you just have to picture one there! Keep up the good work and give us the next shot when you can! What kind of fishing are you doing on your vacation?

What kind of fishing are you doing on your vacation?

I have a 16 foot Jetcraft (The Bonnie Lass) and I do a lot of trolling for Kokanee salmon at the lakes in the area. Nothing like a nice relaxing day out on the boat catching salmon.

Boat in the background:
IMG_0131.jpg

Jim

Jeremy0322

I wasnt knocking it at all, it looks awesome, it just amused me at that time. I cant wait to see how the end product looks!

I wasnt knocking it at all, it looks awesome, it just amused me at that time. I cant wait to see how the end product looks!
Oh I didn't take it as a konck... I appreciate the input. It is exciting to see it starting to take shape. My nephew came by today and I had him help me sit the tank on the stand. Notice the taller opening on the front. I want a lot of room to work with once I get it up and running. Wow, it is big! It will really look nice once I get the floating shelves mounted on the wall. Anyway, here is that picture I promised...

IMG_0082.jpg

Jim

jgking21

Looks great Jim! You will like having that extra room to work with underneath, I worried when I saw the first picture. I've got alot of room for mine and it really help with accessing everything. Now on to the Floating Shelves, that will really tie it all together!

What a great work of art! Awesome job!!

Thanks... Just wait till I get the beaded oak on the face. It will also make a big difference once I get the other shelves up. We plan to make a trip to a shell store in Morro Bay and pick up some a nice shells like a nautilus, conch and the like. We would also like to pick up a few nautical themed items to display on the shelves around the tank. It will really look good in a couple of months.

Jim

Shelves are up and it is really looking good. All that is left is the application of the bead board, some sanding and finishing. This is really going to look great when I get it finished. The water was just to get the stand to settle into the carpet so I could get the right hight for the shelves. I am draining it now.

Jim

IMG_0084.jpg

jgking21

Great Work Jim! The shells will look really cool, also look for some bleached corals. I've bleached a few of mine that have died and they make cool little decorations. Okay, as I'm typing this and looking back at your pictures, I keep walking into my living room. Can I use your Floating Hood Idea? I think I might have an idea for my corner tank.

Great Work Jim! The shells will look really cool, also look for some bleached corals. I've bleached a few of mine that have died and they make cool little decorations. Okay, as I'm typing this and looking back at your pictures, I keep walking into my living room. Can I use your Floating Hood Idea? I think I might have an idea for my corner tank.

Sure I don't mind... I have also decided not to put hinges on the doors. I am going to attach the bead board slats to the 3/4 birch ply doors and attach the door panels to the front of the stand with magnets. That way I can pull them off and get them out of the way when I clean my sump. Well, headed over to visit the Rockler web page to order them now. Have a good one guys...

Jim

Well, I start a 10 day vacation tomorrow and it is my plan to hit the shop first thing in the morning, satin the shelves and get everything varnished so I can get them back up on the wall Monday. I just fired off an email to the mill that is supposed to ship my beaded oak and asked them what the holdup was. I ordered it on May 6th and it still isn't here. I am starting to think they just planted the tree and they are waiting for it to grow. I had hoped to have water in the tank by the time I go back to work on June 7th. Oh well, I will keep my fingers crossed and we will see how it goes...

Jim