New RSM 250

KC B

Hello Everyone.

I bought a used Red Sea Max 250 last week, and just finished setting it up. This thing was nasty from algae...you could barely see what was inside from all the green slime!! I ran 3 gallons of vinegar and tapwater through it for two days and everything cleaned up beautifully.

It came with:
  • an apex jr with PH module
  • chiller
  • 2 next reef media reactors
  • jaebo powerhead
  • ato
  • batter backup
  • and a ton of test kits, chemicals, etc
I've been out of the hobby for 7 years, and thought this would be the perfect hobby for my daughter and I.

I have a ton of questions, if you all don't mind helping.
  1. We're going tomorrow to buy sand and rock, should I buy live rock or buy dead rock and use Dr Tim's or something similar?
  2. I love the look of fine sand, but are there benefits to more course sand?
  3. I bought a media basket from InTank LLC for the chamber to the left of the skimmer, what should I run in here?
  4. I bought the accessory kit for the chiller from Red Sea, do I simply take the right side return pump to push the water to the chiller, and the chiller will return it to my tank via the right nozzle?
  5. Apex Jr temperature probe will not manually calibrate past 35.5 degrees, after I pass this number it goes back to 0, I verified I was on Farenheit instead of celsius.
  6. By buying an EB8 from Apex does that give my control of 8 more items, just like the 4 I can control now?
  7. Salt? IO or Red Sea?
Lol. Sorry for all the questions, I'll research and figure most of them out. Thanks for reading this...I'll get you guys some pics up. Please feel free to give me any advice you can. I'm going to really take my time and be patient with this tank, proper cycling, etc. Looking to start off with a few fish maybe around mid-August, and eventually add some LPS around mid-September or October if everything is looking good.

Have a great day guys!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Vacation time...so catching up, if you still have questions post away !

sirstan51

Congrats on your new/used RSM 250! Please share your thread with me when you start!

You probably already bought sand (i have Pink Samoa, its fine, but i like it. Diamond Goby keeps it pristine!).

I run Seachem Matrix in my InTank basket. That is all.

Not sure on accessory kit. Mine was used for UV light when I bought it, but i dont run it and removed.

Always been tempted to buy Apex Jr. or used for price, but expandability (jr) and accuracy (used) have stopped me.

Consider MP40 upgrade and 2 AI Hydra HD 26's as future upgrades. They wont dissapoint you in this amazing tank.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
743f03e4c10e825d4f073548b594a4d0.jpg

Pat24601

I missed this post back when it was made. But welcome to the forums (if you read this) and let us know if you still have questions.

I was about to post answers and I saw the original post was a month old.