New RSM 250!

dank61

Hello every one!
I am new to this forum and new to having an aquarium also. So bare with me through the stupid questions! Here is my tank so far. I am planning on going with a reef. I guess that is what the RSM is made for? So… any tips on getting things going??

overlay-round.gif

also do I get rid of the things growing on the rock?

stuff_on_rock.jpg

Reddog170

Well first off I would say pic up this book : The Concientious Marine Aquarist awesome reading. Also How long has your tank been runing? As far as removing anything growing on your rocks, unless it is a pest I would leave it alone. I can not tell from the pics but that does not have the right color for apistaisia but I can be wrong. Welcome to Rs and look forward to following your tank, Shaun

dank61

thanks for the info, i will pick it up. Is there a specific time period i have to wait to add the coral? other than the water conditions being right?

dank61

thanks, I just hope i dont kill everything!!! i just added the crabs and snails, they made quick work of all the algae. The fact that they stayed alive and cleaned my tank made me happy! maybe this is not as hard as everyone told me.

dank61

That is what I have noticed, or rather my wife has noticed. She keeps telling me to stop checking on it and leave it alone.. the tank is getting more attention than her right now… better look at my priorities…

dank61

That is probably wise! One question before i start paying attention to my wife... in an earlier post, it was said that I might have “apistaisia” what was in the pic was a flowery looking thing that is a transparent white with yellow spot ?mouth? center. But I do have some others that look like this “apistaisia”. It is a pink tanish color that is flowery. Do I need to kill it?

Rue

So hard to tell without a picture. Once you know it's aiptasia, you won't mistake it for anything else, it's quite distinct, in an indistinct way.

But if it is, you probably should nix it...

I haven't gone after mine yet...and one has slowly turned into several. So far we've agreed to a truce...but I told them - just ONE more...and it's war!

steveh

Thanks for choosing a Max 250, and good luck with your reekeeping adventure. Apart from the RS forum, I would suggest you find a good shop to begin dealing with. Also the Max manual and dvd are very comprehensive. They are based on our experiences with the Max 250 and will lead you down a successful route. Spend some time reading the manual, and be patient. All good things to he who waits. Happy reekeeeping.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
WELCOME!

It's hard to tell from the first picture if those are Aiptasia. They do look a bit like it though. If you want to get rid of them see if you can get a product like Joe's Juice and inject them. There's a new product out now by Red Sea - Aiptasia-X that I much prefer - easier to use, and it doesn't quickly spread everywhere else like Joe's juice does. I use it to kill majano anemones - as bad as Aiptasia. Now that I think about it, the critters in the picture may even be Majanos.

jjohnson3

Welcome to RS.com! It almost looks like a white suncoral. As for the timeperiod for adding coral, your continual testing will let you know. Your ammonia will rapidly raise then fall, then nitrite will rise then fall to 0, then your nitrate will do the same thing. Once the nitrate is close to 0(less than 5ppm) you can add a fish or coral.

dank61

thanks guys, all have been very helpful
here is a beter picture of what i think might be Aiptasia
Aiptasia.jpg

here are the ones in the first picture

living_thing.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The first of the last 2 pics is definitely Aiptasia. Those whiter ones in the 2nd pic don't look the same, but may still be a type of Aiptasia or some other pest anemone. If it were me I'd get rid of all of them so they don't multiply. Just my opinion.

redsea reefer

yep, if it was me i would kill them also. I had a couple of them to, i used the red sea AIPTASIA X and worked like a charm. get em before you have more all over you tank....