New RO / DI

BoomerD

I was looking to replace my Coral Life Pure Flo II 24 GPD unit with add on DI with this unit recently:

75 GPD 4 Stage RO unit

I decided it would be cheaper for me to buy one of the filter sets and extra canister and just turn my existing system into that one.

Most RO membranes and cartridges can be interchanged regardless of brand. The one I listed above uses the Filmtec membrane which claims to have a rejection rate of 98% (Spectra Pure Ultra High Rejection membranes also claim to have 98% rejection rate).

God bless,
Chris

This is true with some caveats. IF you change the GPD rating of your membrane, you USUALLY have to change the flow restrictor as well. It's a pretty cheap part, but a vital one if you want to increase the flow rate through the membrane.

okiejaco

PEMfish

What if I get a one stage DI and replace the resin every 40 gallons? Will it get me to a extremely low ppm of TDS?

JWarren

Paul you don't have any filtration at all right now?

If you don't and are just looking to get a DI filter, I doubt you will have too much success with just a DI filter and it will get fouled very fast, IMO. You could try an ice maker filter ($15 @ Home Depot) before a DI filter, would be better than nothing I suppose. But I think you would be throwing good money after bad with a rinky dink setup like that or you could start building your own. Home depot has parts and filter replacements. If you could do $30 here, $30 there you could build your own filter system, but by the time you are done you will have more money invested into it than I do in mine.

With source water at 500ppm and if you are using it in your tank, any filtration at all would be better than none. I just put one of those ice maker filters in and will test a few melted cubes tomorrow and let you know how it is working out.

JWarren

I just came across this while searching for something.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...e=USPlastic&category_name=38&product_id=20562

$30 here #30 there and you could build your own. Thats how I did my fist unit. A little bit here and a little there and eventually you have a nice filter system. Some folks just have to do what they can as they can, I'm there with ya!

Call the guys were I got mine, they may work something out with ya. Never know.

BoomerD

RO/DI Systems

Good prices, supposed to be built well. (no personal experience)

The RO membrane should reduce the TDS by 90-98%, and the DI resins should bring the remaining TDS down close to zero. If your water is that hard, (over 500 ppm) then DI cartridges won't last long by themselves, and the cost of replacing them will add up quickly.

PEMfish

John, thanks for being understanding but I need water now. I really like that idea for building a system and wish I could have stared that awhile ago.
I think I will get the $135.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI. I would for sure if it weren't for $25 shipping!

JWarren

I have no experience with The Filter Guys either Paul, But I hear they sell a good product. You'll be happy with your own system in the house and won't have to worry about what is causing that algae bloom in your tanks, plus you'll start saving more money than you think!

Let us know how you make out!

PEMfish

With my water, after about how many gallons will I have to replace media? How much $? I won't hold anyone too it, just curios for an estimate.

JWarren

Well, on my old system, which had all the basic components as my new one, I would change out the filter cartridges every 8 months or so. Filter media has gotten much better now or the water has, cause I don't seem to need to change the filters as often. It costs about the same though to replace all the media. So, about $30.00 a year. I replace the membrane every two years, whether it needs it or not at $40.00.

JWarren

A lot of your worries have just disappeared Paul! That takes sooooo many potential problems out of reef keeping right there! Do you have a TDS meter?

fishnu

Filter guys seem good for filters and membrane, as well as parts, but a DI resin that I ordered from them seemed to expire quickly. I went back to Kent for DI resin.

JWarren

Some people like the saddle valve and some don't. I am one of the guys that don't and will always find another way to make the hook up. I like the hose bib attachment with John Guest connector.