New reef tank hobbyist, advice?

CGold4

Hey everyone. I'm new to the hobby of keeping aquariums. I was recently given a 30 gallon tank and have had it running for about two months now. I have crushed coral (which ive been told is a disaster, but havent had too much trouble yet), an undergravel filter (which Ive also been told isnt fun), about 20 lbs of live rock, a few dry rock, two powerheads, an anemone, 2 striped damsels, 1 blue damsel, and 2 striped chromis. Ive recently ordered and recieved an Hagen Glo T5HO lighting system. Even though my tank is 48' i ordered a 36' fixture with two 39w bulbs, actinic and daylight. I want to start adding more damels and maybe a clown or two. As well as some polyps or any other easy-care soft corals. All of my levels are ideal. I just need some advice from people who know better than myself.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey everyone. I'm new to the hobby of keeping aquariums. I was recently given a 30 gallon tank and have had it running for about two months now. I have crushed coral (which ive been told is a disaster, but havent had too much trouble yet), an undergravel filter (which Ive also been told isnt fun), about 20 lbs of live rock, a few dry rock, two powerheads, an anemone, 2 striped damsels, 1 blue damsel, and 2 striped chromis. Ive recently ordered and recieved an Hagen Glo T5HO lighting system. Even though my tank is 48' i ordered a 36' fixture with two 39w bulbs, actinic and daylight. I want to start adding more damels and maybe a clown or two. As well as some polyps or any other easy-care soft corals. All of my levels are ideal. I just need some advice from people who know better than myself.

OK. Avoid the damsels. Just mean fish. Good starter corals? Avoid gsp and anthellia. The pulsing xenia can b intrusive yet are easily peeled off a rock. Just add things one at a time n make sure u wanna look at them for awhile.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wouldn't say anything is wrong just I wanna make u aware of a few things. Ur lighting has limitations. U will probably want 4-6 bulbs to grow whatever u want. N the plenum. We used to use them years ago. (Under gravel filter sorry) but turns out they interfere with the nitrogen cycle. I pulled mine out 3-4 years ago it makes one helluva mess n requires a major wc after removing too. Just go slow. Even an established tank can crap out if u add too much of anything at one time. Thanks for joining dude.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

CGold4

eventually i think ill take the ug out. its just a matter of finding enough time to do so between work and school. as for the lights, im thinking of investing in another hagen glo the same size and run two daylights and two actinics. right now i just want to add more life to the tank but havent been sure what to add. and not a problem! this site seems to be one of the better ones ive found

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

StirCrayzy

Welcome !
If you want to add more life right now, start with a CleanUpCrew Snails, Hermits.
i wouldnt add anything substantial until you get everything settled (LIghting, Filter, Sand)
Is UG your only filtration?
Your aNEMone is probably wasting away under those lights, you need very high lighting for them to thrive.
Please post actual test results, Im curious what "Levels " an UG filter produces.

lbiminiblue

eventually i think ill take the ug out. its just a matter of finding enough time to do so between work and school. as for the lights, im thinking of investing in another hagen glo the same size and run two daylights and two actinics. right now i just want to add more life to the tank but havent been sure what to add. and not a problem! this site seems to be one of the better ones ive found

what about a torch coral or zoas? easy starters. What colors do you like?

lbiminiblue

im down for anything man. thats not crazy expensive that is haha that can come later

great- that's what most people want. I got my torch, check out my tank thread if you want a pic- for 20$. Pretty much any coral 20 dollars and under is a really great price.

lbiminiblue

yep you'll be sorry you didn't ask when you have to tear your tank down to get rid of a problem fish. It's happened to me three times.