New Owner of a Blue Spot Jawfish

DanSReef

Hello Everyone.... This morning I took the plunge and purchased a BSJ from LFS. They had gotten a dozen or so and he was the last of the bunch in their store. He had been with them for about a month and i saw he was eating frozen and pellet food...readily.

I have seen that there is a specific BSJ forum on RS.....but seems like not a lot of recent activity... perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. Anyway.... I am looking for any advice you all can give. "Spot" ....as my daughters have already named him..... is in our 75 gal reef tank and has two clowns, 2 green chromis, a Copper Band Butterfly and assorted corals as tankmates. He has a fair amount of rubble and places to create burrows. I acclimated him a bit until he found a way out of the bag....somehow.....I have heard they can be escape artists....the tank is fully covered and so hopefully he won't make a break for it.

So... I will post pictures soon as he get more comfortable in his new surroundings. If you can provide some advise....help set expectations... I would appreciate it. To be honest....he was a bit of an impulse buy. I am hoping I did not make a mistake buying him. He was on the pricey side....

Thanks in advance for your guidance. RS is a great forum.... and community!

lcstorc

Welcome,
They are truly spectacular animals.
There is a ton of information about them in the Bluespot Forum, but the two most important things IMO are to guard the top carefully. By carefully, I mean insanely carefully. I have seen them jump throught the 1/4 in squares of eggcrate. The smallest opening anywhere they will eventually find. Most of us use pond netting (often in window screen frames).
Rule number 2 is rubble, rubble, rubble and rubble is not necessarily what you think it is. Large pieces as well as small. Turbo snail shells are not too big. When they don't have enough rubble to keep them happy they have been known to go on hunger strikes.
One other thing to mention. They can/will eat suprisingly large pieces of food.

DanSReef

You are not kidding! I just went to do the nightly feeding....and he went nuts....crazy for everything I could...would give him. I feed a mix of frozen brine, Mysis and Rod's.... he engorged himself on Rod's.... he was eating pieces I would have normal tried to cut up before putting into the tank.

Anyway, he seems to be settiling in quite well. Still a bit shy to the other tankmates... He has found a nice cave area under one of the columns of rock.... We will see if he takes up permanent residence there. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow to share.

Congrats for sure. Its a fun fish.

Mine tried to escape during acclimation as well. But have never seen him try and jump since. I had the front of my tank open all day today and all he did was look up at the surface. I wouldn't do that as normal procedure.

Good luck!

-JOHN

DanSReef

Well..... This morning I found spot building his home by moving around that tank collecting rubble..... He seems to be settling in quite nicely.

Here are a couple of pictures:

This first one is a wider picture of where he is setting up shop.

4674026757_23ec58483e.jpg

And now for his first publice appearance........

4674650996_3ec9ac91e2_b.jpg

lcstorc

Give her lots to build with and warn the snails. My blues constantly annoy the snails by using them as building material.

DanSReef

I thought I would post a new picture of spot below. This morning he has given up his den....and is now burrowing in the sand at the front of the tank. Not sure why...perhaps he has been harrassed by some of the crabs.... I do not know. I noticed yesterday that he was not in the best spot to grab food and so he may be scoping out a more central place to set up residence.

4678736878_51f1b98dc7_b.jpg

lcstorc

They will move around until they find a place they like. Once they get comfortable they tend to stay for a while.