New Nova Extreme vs. Nova Extreme Pro

Which one would you buy for a 55g tank, if money Was an issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

new reefer 03

whats the difference? the only thing i can find is that the nova extreme pro has 2 more bulbs. i would be looking at the 48".

Pro
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

Regular *New Edition*
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

the only thing i can find is the pro has 2 more bulbs ( big deal.. ) and cost $262.50 more.

Thanks, i may be missing something :bigbounce if not i may have me some T5s soon :)

besides the additional light output from the two additional lights about the only difference is the Pro has a reflector that is contoured around each bulb that mimics individual reflectors. whereas the extreme has a flat reflector. I have the nova extreme and have been very pleased with it. I would suggest changing the bulbs with an ATI or Geisman combo. The Current bulbs aren't that good having a lower par.

BigJay

EDIT- I typed all that out without realizing you were talking about the SLR. Sorry. Since I typed it all I don't feel like erasing it, but disregard some of the comparo.

the nova extreme has LED night lights built in and the reflecter is a single versus individual and the bulbs are closer together to make room for the LEDs. Also the legs are a tad bit different if that makes a difference to you.

The pro does not have the moon lights. It has countoured reflector which acts as individual. Since it does not have LED's the lights are spaced further apart. Combined with the countoured reflectors its a much much more effecient lighting system. It also uses two ballasts. One drive 2 bulbs for sun up/down and the other drives the 4 daylights.

The Nova extreme PRO is sick. With non-stock bulbs I am getting absolutely sick results even at 28" 's from the lights. Brightness level is near blinding and speaking from experience be aware that it may take your corals time to get used to the light and light acclimation procedures should be followed from day one. I absolutley love the extreme pro!
I do however half to say the stock bulbs are garbage. Mine started color shifting at only 5 months.

I have a tut up here somewhere on how I modded my 48" nova extreme pro to add moonlights.

BigJay

one thing I can see right off the bat though on those two is 1 ballast and 2 bulbs for example on the 48" unit would be 100-150 of the difference in price alone.

new reefer 03

they both have individual reflectors. im looking at the new model. heres what the site says

Innovative reflector design maximizes T-5 light output. The popular Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures are now enhanced with a contoured single lamp reflector (SLR). A single polished reflector is specially formed to cradle each individual lamp to direct over 99% of the T-5 lighting into the aquarium. Low-profile fixtures measure only 2” high. Features energy-efficient electronic ballast, integrated cooling fan (select 4 lamp models only), docking mounts, and a protective splash lens. Includes T-5 HO lamps.

what mopdel im looking at...

Model - - - NEW 48" x 8"
Total Watts - - - 216 watt
T-5 Bulbs - - - 2-54 W 10,000°K; 2-54 W 460 nm actinic ( would change later on )
Fan Cooled - - - Yes
# of Cords - - - 3

:( thanks jay, i just realized it only has one ballast :waa:
is there anyway to turn on the daylights, then the actinics without adding another ballast? i guess thats why theres a diff in price. my tank currently has different times for daylights, and actinics.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cole that's not INDIVIDUAL reflectors on the extreme!

Pro
T-5 fluorescent lamps are optimized with individually contoured reflectors to direct useable light into your aquarium.

Extreme
contoured single lamp reflector (SLR). A single polished reflector is specially formed to cradle each individual lamp to direct over 99% of the T-5 lighting into the aquarium.

That's ONE large reflector bend to ACT like IND but it's not the same.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd imagine that's an "Improvement" but still wouldn't be like true IND reflectors. I say while you're upgrading go "Whole Hog" and consider it an investment :)

jjohnson3

I have a nova pro on my 38G. I love it! There are only 2 problems I have with it...

1. The fans are really loud. They sound like a fan lol.
2. If you have a HOB filter that is 3'' or taller, the fixture will sit on the filter's top. I will be modding a canopy that will fix this problem.

Overall I am very pleased with the fixture! Nova Pro's reall punch light into your tank!

BigJay

actually the nova pro has an accordian style too.

my nova extreme pro night light mod thread

I think in like the 3rd pic you can see it. It has the illusion of individual reflectors but its actually one piece. Mostly the difference I can see just by the photos is the size given to the individual lamps. The pro seems to have more space which means slightly larger reflector area and less light lost to crowding bulbs.

BigJay

not that I know of. Well you could wire a switch in that only allowed power to two bulbs at a time but you'd have to manually switch between the lights.

BigJay

hehe there you go.

I will leave you with this though. I prefer the individual reflected T5's over halides and know quite a few that feel that way. If I lived in a colder locale though and/or didn't care about the electric bill Halides might be more of an option.