new member & new reefer

Why-Me

Hello all this is my first post here. I'm really wanting to buy a red sea max E 260 and go from there. I currently am new to reefing, but can keep a fw aquarium going no problem. Without getting too much into my personal life, I've had a few spine surgeries with another coming up soon so I'm not buying the tank system or setting up anything until I'm healed from that. But in the meantime I'd like to do all the due diligence and research before jumping in head first. I may start buying pieces of what's needed for initial setup and maintenance like a python, ro/di system, sand, rock etc. So when I'm physically ready to start I can then just buy that red sea max and I'll be up and running, cycling, maintaining.
Am I too ambitious? Should I just start with a rescue reef from craigslist or something like that to get my feet wet? Figured the rs max would be the best for a) a beginner like me since there's less to screw up with all the components picked out and made for that set up and b) because of my physical disabilities. Also have been told that I should just build my first set up so I know the ins and outs of how everything works in case or when something likely does happen I know how to remedy the problem...? A little nudge in the right direction or some good pointers are appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this!
I look forward to watching everyone's builds and reefs.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Lots of members have started with a RSM and have had great - I did :)

DaveK

I have posted this many times before. It is the best advice I can give to someone new to the hobby. I will have some additional comments at the end related to you plans.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

End of the standard lecture ...

Since you have some spinal issues, I wouldn't spend any money on anything until your sure what you'll be able to handle. Years ago I had some back problems. I didn't require surgery, but it really limited what I could do as far as getting around my system and how much I could lift.

I wouldn't buy the system in pieces. Often by the time you get to buying enough to set up the tank, a lot of the gear is obsolete. Also, spine rehabs tend to take a long time, which might stretch things out even more.

For a first reef, I don't recommend getting a "rescue reef" off of craigslist or similar sources. You'll inherit someone else's problems and a possible disaster. All to often I see such systems and I look at them and thing that to get it to the point where I'd be happy with it, I'd be replacing everything except the tank and stand.

Why-Me

I did also join a local club and forum called the Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society. They have meetings and encourage users to venture out to see each others systems and setups while holding club meetings. I plan on going to a meeting this month to fully immerse myself into the reef culture! The more and more I read up it sounds like an AIO is best considering my physical limitations, although the one on craigslist I was looking at was a red sea max c130 with upgraded parts already broken down, ready to go and used less than a year for only $675, but I'm still holding off because of the surgery. I'll buy the books cheap off Amazon do the research and go from there. Thank you for the wise words.

Sharkbite73

Hey welcome to the community.
I got a a e260, and the only regret is where I put it. I've placed mine in the corner of the room so can only access it from the left hand side and the front. I stand on the couch arm so that part isn't a drama.

I'm 1 month in and am just going through the orange algae stage. I added 6 turbo snails, and Hermits and it have been cleaning it up quite nicely.

I'm no expert but if you have any questions please just ask.