New Hybrid LED - T5 Light Coming Out!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Onboard controller (lights only) 2 36" lights would cover my 220 for $12-1300? U have growth n coral color pics u can update?

..........rarely am I speechless

DanSReef

I just got this light on Thursday so no growth pictures. Will be a while yet. I also have figured out the problem I have new have been having with my tank. Too low of nutrients. The Alpha Pellet reactor has been replaced with one that won't deplete the nutrients so completely. I am still tweaking it. But that explains why I got great growth and then lose all color and STN.

Back to the lights...I an still playing with colors. Blues, Whites, Colors and moons all on separate control channels. The T5s are on off programmed via the Apex.

So far I am real impressed as Gus has a really nice light.

DanSReef

OK.... Thanks to a local reefer, Crooks, I have some PAR readings of the 24" Gamma T-5 LED Hybrid over my 92 Gal Corner Bow Front. Note: the height of the tank is 30" and the front to back measurement is 36". This is at full power with my crappy camera skills. The photo stinks.... Dre... I need a photo class!!!

One other note...at just above water line.... par is 1056. The light is also 10 1/2 inches above the water line. I will most likely move it down over time to about 6" which will increase PAR.

8034203520_2727c4effd_b.jpg

dmatt88

Hey Dan. How's the color to the eyes? Blueish or more mh white?

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

DanSReef

If I could learn how to take decent pictures...:bluenod:.. The light is definitely close to MH. You can adjust whites, blues, and colors, plus the moons all separately. So.. You can get just about anything you would like. I also will say that compared to my first LED this is like having my tank in High Definition.

Also.... The moons are great. More greenish blue....and I run them higher early....then dim to off for a good dark period for the tank. I will try a video which may work out better. I have to charge the battery.

StirCrayzy

HD is a great way to put it. I love the clarity and the clean white look.

Also like HD i bet its harder to ignore ugly stuff.

Funlad3

Dan, I talked to Gus and he said there was a moon cycle feature. Can you confirm this super rumor?

DanSReef

Hi Ben. Yes the moons are programmable over night and through out the day. I run mine at one level until midnight and then off to create total darkness from midnight to 6 am. Then the moons come on again. Is that what you are looking for?

Choff

Nice Dan.

Looks aside, what are everyone's thoughts on those par numbers? I know he is high above the tank, but those seem quite low to me. I thought MH were 400 at the bed?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DanSReef

Nice Dan.

Looks aside, what are everyone's thoughts on those par numbers? I know he is high above the tank, but those seem quite low to me. I thought MH were 400 at the bed?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Fair question.... Please note that I have a tank that is 30" high....as opposed to a normal 24" and that I am 10 1/2 inches above the water. If I was say 6" above water on a 24" deep tank....then I would expect much higer numbers on the bottom. Also....something to note... I am bare bottom. So measurements are right on the bottom not a couple of inches higher on a sand bed.

I think the other thing to note.... more par does not neccessarily mean things are better...absurdly high levels of par can mean bigger problems. I have a neighbor who has incredibly high PAR using MH.... and he is having huge problems with his high light corals. He is getting growth but not the best of color. Then add the fact of the amount of heat he is putting into his system....and the $$ he is spending to feed it.... He is seriously looking at moving to these lights for his system.

Lets hear what others have to say.

Choff

I did note your tank was 30". I just started taking par readings in my tank and trying to learn what exactly it means and what ranges I should be shooting for for various corals. Hopefully some folks will chime in. I plan on doing a lot reading about it this week.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Funlad3

Hi Ben. Yes the moons are programmable over night and through out the day. I run mine at one level until midnight and then off to create total darkness from midnight to 6 am. Then the moons come on again. Is that what you are looking for?

Oh, I was under the false impression that it had a 28 day program simulating the moon cycle. Ah well!

LostintheDark

I assume they have fans as well as heat sinks. What is the noise level? I have the Chinese Leds now and they are a little on the loud side.
Any comparison?

DanSReef

I assume they have fans as well as heat sinks. What is the noise level? I have the Chinese Leds now and they are a little on the loud side.
Any comparison?

Sorry for the delayed response..... I was traveling the last couple of days on business. The fixturers do have fans. In fact.... when I read your post... I had to wait to get home to actually look and listen. Frankly I had not heard them at all since I got them. The fixture is just now starting the dawn cycle I have programmed and I did hear them come on with the LEDs. Really quiet which I appreciate as the tank is in my small home office. I too have had some other fixtures with fans that were initially quiet but got louder over time. We will see with these.

So far I am really impressed with the fit, finish and function of these lights. I think Prestige-LED has a winner with these Gamma lights. Of course....again... time will tell.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent work Dan! I look forward to seeing how these lights fair over the next few months.

Also keep in mind that having a more FULL SPECTRUM of light will mean a lot to your coral color-wise. The T5's will potentially fill in many of the gaps left by the LED where-as the LED will punch the PAR and PUR readings higher to compensate for T5's short comings at depth.

Do you know if the T5's have true Individual Reflectors or not?

DanSReef

Hi Al. Good Question. The T5's do have U shaped individual reflectors.

I agree with you....the colors with LED and T5 combined are much richer than I have seen with LED alone. I also think there is some greater flexibility with all of the T-5 combinations that you can have. Time will tell if the corals thrive... and grow.

Funlad3

Stay away from Eshines. I'm in the middle of a quality dispute with them. My pair of their 48x3W Controllable lights has been shocking me randomly for the past five months. Evidently, they found out about this a few months after they shipped my lights, but they never told me. After the runaround for four months, we finally got them to respond by filing a claim with AMEX. They're still being difficult though, and it'll be weeks yet before I see a cent of my refund.

There's a reason I'm switching from Eshines to Prestige LED, and it's not T5s; that's for sure.

PIMPALA

Thats upsetting. Ive ordered over 2 dozen items from eshine, and never had a problem, except for 1 of the dimmable ballasts, and they sent me a new one, and a free timer and I had it in just a few days after letting them know.