new here

Manuelli

hey everyone i am new here, i think this place is awesome, and also have many questions for the all of you hope you guys can help, i don't know if this is the forum to ask this but here i go, i have a 125g fish only tank, no live rock or invertebrate (spell wrong) i have 10 fish in there, i know is overcrowded but most of my fish are still little 4 in the most,so that gives sometime to upgrade, i just recently bought an achilles tang almost a month ago, and its doing fine eats just like the others little piggies but i am seen signs of ich on its fins though , i also have a powder blue a purple tang and dori but they are very peaceful with each other no aggression whatsoever and i've heard achilles tangs don't do so well with cooper, i've treated the rest of my fish with cooper before and they do fine, they eat as usual, so what you guys think? you think i should treat it with cooper?

leebca

My first choice would be to treat with hyposalinity.

But why put to risk all those (overcrowded) fishes by putting in a new fish that hasn't gone through a proper quarantine? If you are truly concerned about your fish's reaction to the stress of treatment, why expose them to the disease at all, much less multiple copper treatments to make up for not using a proper quarantine process.

Use a quarantine process in the future and treat now with hyposalinity. If you treat the fish with copper in their display system, that copper will remain and may present itself as dangerous over a very long time period -- a chronic poisoning of the system.

According to your information, you have about 40 inches of fish in there? I don't understand your concern for the fish's reaction to treatment when they are now not being cared for properly. :confused:

Manuelli

yea that's going to be my next project to set up a quarantine tank, and to be honest i bought all of my fish from the same store and never had a problem, they do quarantine their fish for 2 weeks before they put'em up for sale, i know 2 weeks isn't much but no other store does that, and i also dip'em in freshwater before i place them in my tank will be in the market pretty soon to buy me a bigger tank at least 180g i just need to take care some debts i have first, and thanks for the info.

smkndrgn142

I agree, go for the hyposalinity treatment over copper. Also, I wouldn't do a FW bath unless absolutely necessary. It can really stress out the fish, I only use them as a last resort to get rid of parasites.