New Elos system mini owner; first timer!

mps9506

Yes 1000l is 265 gph.

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but that is the rated flow of those Ehiem pumps not including the head loss from pumping up and out the plumbing.
By no means do you need to get more flow now, but before you add any corals I still think adding another powerhead with 2-400 gph flow would be extremely benefical. Doing it before you add livestock is nice because it allows you to adjust the flow and placement in case it stirs your sand bed up too much and allows you to move it around to take aesthetics into account (no one likes to look at wires or powerheads :D)
can't wait to see more livestock in it. Still wonder how you ended up with a black e lite also :D

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but that is the rated flow of those Ehiem pumps not including the head loss from pumping up and out the plumbing.
By no means do you need to get more flow now, but before you add any corals I still think adding another powerhead with 2-400 gph flow would be extremely benefical. Doing it before you add livestock is nice because it allows you to adjust the flow and placement in case it stirs your sand bed up too much and allows you to move it around to take aesthetics into account (no one likes to look at wires or powerheads :D)
can't wait to see more livestock in it. Still wonder how you ended up with a black e lite also :D

Guess I will talk with Jesse and Chris (my local LFS) and see what they think about a power head. I added 2 Zoa frags today in the very bottom of my tank furthest away from the return and you can see them moving when fully extended. I was under the impression when I bought this that I didn't need to add any powerheads but we shall see.

The black E-lite was a special kickback for me since I bought the mini and had to wait a while to get it :). Nice of them to do that for me as it saved me about $200 or so for it.

Here are some more updated pictures.

skimmer.jpg

sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

zoas.jpg

Hey Folks - I am still fighting the micro bubbles in my tank. the skimmer has been running for 2 weeks but I am not sure what is considered long enough for it to be broken in. I have attached some pictures of the tank and bubble, skimmer and sump to see if any one has some recommendations for me.

The hardest piece for me is to diagnose where these bubbles are coming from as I am sure once I figure that out then I can get the desired end result.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

DSC01044.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

bubbles1.jpg

skimmerbubbles.jpg

sump7.jpg

sump8.jpg

sump9.jpg

DML08

it may be because your return pump is in the same chamber as your skimmer... what the chamber that holds the spatula for? can you post a layout of your sump? kinda hard to tell form the pics.

mps9506

You may want to shoot Jesse from Elos an email about the microbubbles, since I haven't set one up yet I don't really know the specifics of the systems plumbing. He maybe able to give you a quick troubleshooting list.

it may be because your return pump is in the same chamber as your skimmer... what the chamber that holds the spatula for? can you post a layout of your sump? kinda hard to tell form the pics.

The chamber with the spatula is for top off. Below is a picture of the front to show the sump better.

I tried to put the skimmer pump in the return chamber but the pump is to big.
sump2.jpg

You may want to shoot Jesse from Elos an email about the microbubbles, since I haven't set one up yet I don't really know the specifics of the systems plumbing. He maybe able to give you a quick troubleshooting list.

MPS - I did, I actually chatted with him on the phone today for a while and email as well. so far nothing has been successful. I know the other LFS owner that has one right now ended up putting a sock on his return line and he said that cleared it up. Jesse feels that should not be needed. so I have been moving the pumps around and messing with the skimmer to try and make things better.

The hardest part for me is to diagnose where these are coming from as I am not sure how to determine that? Any pointers?

mps9506

Turn off the skimmer and leave the return pump on. If the bubbles go away it's from the skimmer. If the bubbles are still there than it's from your return pump or return line. :)
My only tip. Did you talk to Phishy Business as well. I know they have theirs setup. I haven't kept up with their build thread the last week or two though.

Turn off the skimmer and leave the return pump on. If the bubbles go away it's from the skimmer. If the bubbles are still there than it's from your return pump or return line. :)
My only tip. Did you talk to Phishy Business as well. I know they have theirs setup. I haven't kept up with their build thread the last week or two though.

Ok I did have my skimmer off earlier for a while and the bubbles were still there. Now atleast I know its the return pump or line.

I did talk to Phishy and have asked him to send me a pic of his sump, he was the one that put the sock on his return line as well.

mps9506

Their might be a leak in the plumbing then or somehow the pump is sucking air in. Is it possible to increase the water level in the sump?

mps9506

I am checking the line now. The sump is already pretty full; its about 4" over the top of the pumps.

Most likely spots for leaks are at the connections where two fittings or a tube goes over a fitting meet.I don't know a good way to narrow down a leak on the line is though. Usually after a few weeks some salt creep will form, but other than that.... :dunno:

Most likely spots for leaks are at the connections where two fittings or a tube goes over a fitting meet.I don't know a good way to narrow down a leak on the line is though. Usually after a few weeks some salt creep will form, but other than that.... :dunno:

I just checked all the lines out, no leaks anywhere, no salt creep no nothing. I checked the connections as well and all is tight as they should be. I have moved the pump to different locations in the sump no dice. I even put my carbon bag in front of it and nothing. any one have any other things to try? Should I attempt to lower the speed of the pump?

mps9506

Dunno. That puzzles me... Kinda the tough part of being one of the first to get a system like that. You get to deal with the problems no one else has had to deal with :D

Dunno. That puzzles me... Kinda the tough part of being one of the first to get a system like that. You get to deal with the problems no one else has had to deal with :D

:smck: oh how true. Jesse has been great to work with though. He always answers his phone and emails as does my LFS. This is kinda like tuning a car, just takes some patience and all will be well.