HELP! !! New condylactis anemone stuck in intake

rostervandross

I found my new condylacis anemone sucked into a small fluval filter intake.. it's in pretty bad shape. I don't think it will be able to work it's way out of the tiny slits it is wound up in. Do I have anything to worry about as far as toxin release or danger to my other livestock?

2134_1.jpg

I am letting it float around still meshed into the intake head to see if it possibly recovers but I will take it out soon if it doesnt improve so it doesn't break down in my water. Anything else I can do?

Thank you in advance

DaveK

In some cases anemones make remarkable recoveries, but getting sucked into a filter intake really is hard on them. You can carefully remove the intake from the anemone. Since they have no skeleton, it's often the best solution.

This anemone will not release toxins as such, but it can die and quickly foul a tank. Keep a careful eye on it, and remove it, if it goes bad on you. You can give it the smell test to check. If it smells really foul, it's dead or close to it, and decay has set in.

rostervandross

By remarkable recovery I have hope for it but maybe I should post a picture. Taking the intake head off did a number to it. Tentacles are all deflated and his foot is torn up. I'm not sure I could get it out of the intake without breaking into a few pieces but see what you think..

HFV6SUN.jpg

:eek:

rostervandross

On another note I am getting awfully weary of getting overcharged everywhere locally for livestock.. $35 for a $10 anemone down the drain.