New Carpet Anemone!!!

Hey everyone,

I was out and about picking up some items for my recently established tank and I came across a sweet Anemone at the local LFS. Under the lights they had it under, it had almost a brownish tint to it but looked really healthy. It was about the size of a softball.

As I was admiring it in the store, It was listed as some sort of carpet for only $18.99!!!! I pondered on the price a bit, because I didn't want to bring it home and have it die on me and waste not only the money, but the life of the Anemone as well.

I decided to purchase it. I brought it home and drip acclimated him for about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours.

It is basically the only item in the tank as far as coral's or anemones go. I wanted it that way so he could decide where he wanted to go, and I would base my tank off of him.

After I added him to the tank, he looked like he adjusted very fast and happy. He stood up on his foot kinda tall for a min, then sat back down. Rolled over a bit and tucked himself back into a cove on LR. Where he is in light, but can also get out of light if he needs too. He opened up almost within the hour. Under my lights, and while admiring him. He looks almost exactly like a Haddoni Carpet Anemone, and very purple at that. I was shocked because I got him for a steal!!

I decided to try to feed him a small sliver of a Silverside, to see if he was healthly and would eat, and because I was uncertain the last time the LFS fed him. I was kind of doubting that he would take it, just because of the fact he was recently added to the tank. Well, about 20 minutes pass and he ate it right up. I was kind of shocked, but happy at the same time.

I checked up on him this morning and he is all blown out and looking very happy, I will get some pictures as soon as I can so I can get another decision on the I.D. of the Anemone.

Thanks for reading!!

Matt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What type of lighting are you using ? How long has this tank been setup ? What size is it ? If in fact it is a Haddoni watch out for your fish, these anemones are very aggressive and will make a quick meal of them. Can't wait to see the photos !

cheeks69 said:
What type of lighting are you using ? How long has this tank been setup ? What size is it ? If in fact it is a Haddoni watch out for your fish, these anemones are very aggressive and will make a quick meal of them. Can't wait to see the photos !

I am using a Coralife Pro Unit, has 2 250W MH and 2 96W Antics, also has the 4 1W LED Moon Lights (Not that it will effect it much). The tank has been setup and running for a little over 2 months, just wasn't cycling for the whole time. I have been checking, PO4, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia and PH every other day and then I test the remaining weekly. I try to keep a log of the tank to make sure all is running well. Everything seems to be keeping up just fine.

Edit - It is 90G

Double Edit - I am not 100% sure if it is a Haddoni, I just feel and think it is. Looking at the pictures of several others it looks similar. I will try to get them posted ASAP.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well you definitely have the proper lighting to maintain it just a bit early IMHO but as long as your careful with water quality you should be fine. The Haddoni will not have tentacles near the mouth.

cheeks69 said:
Well you definitely have the proper lighting to maintain it just a bit early IMHO but as long as your careful with water quality you should be fine. The Haddoni will not have tentacles near the mouth.

Yeah, I want the best for it so I will be checking on the tank every day as I should. I will do water changes when necessary and keep a tab on the rest of the parameters. Does anyone happen to have a link or the parameters Haddoni's like?

Thanks for the help so far!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good stuff cheeks. good luck with your anemone 2003Slobra! sounds good so far. Maybe do water changes with natural sea water for a while? Just till your sand bed kicks in. Nutriseawater is good stuff.

Here is the only picture I snapped of it. Excuse the picture. It dosen't show it's true color, still working on the whole tank picture taking!! :D

DSC_0284.jpg

According to one of your posts, about it not having tenticles near the mouth. It certainly does not. I will try to get a picture of it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
2003Slobra said:
That is just my F+ Picture taking skillz.
No need to get upset. I was comenting on how cool it looked in that picture. I would like to see a black anemone.

Sorry if I sounded upset, but I wasn't. Was just giving a joke about the quality of the picture, it's a F+ like in grade school compared to some of the outstanding pictures I see on here. I agree with you though, a Black Carpet would be sweet!! :thumbup:

razz

it looks like a carpet to me..i think maye its just bleached out and colour will change once established..arnt the tenicles on hond. a little different..it looks exactly like my green carpet..