New butterflies - need an experienced opinion

jglas26

Hello Everyone.....

I know I haven't been on here in what seems like forever, but I'm hoping that I can get some help.

Two days ago, I recieved an Auriga & Saddleback Butterfly (via online store)
So...they arrived looking great (no "spots" nicks or anything like that - they are 4in each, you can tell that they were well cared for - not underweight - vibrant color, etc. )

Although they are swimming (not sluggish what so ever)and eating great, I've noticed that they've had a "twitch" (not flutter) ever since I acclimatedd them into the tank. I CAN NOT SEE any typical ich or parasite spots but after two days- im convinced its "something" and not them just getting adjusted (probably just in early stages because they just shipped) I observe the Auriga having random twitchess throughout the day and I've seen the Saddleback "flash" his face off the rocks twice.......

I'm trying to get an opinion - think it's classic early signs of ich - possibly a parasite - or general paranoia?

Also (I might need to know this now and possibly down the road) can anyone tell me any medications that they have used to SUCCESSFULLY treat a Butterfly for an ich infestation? What about bacteria/parasites?

In case anyone's curious - I'm in my 4th year of "saltwater"

A million thanks in advance

leebca

It may be a case of paranoia at this stage. Many parasites and diseases cause these kinds of behavior. It would be better if they were in a quarantine tank. I don't know, for instance, if your display tank is infested with something, since you don't use a quarantine process -- unless these are the only fishes you have.

The symptoms can also indicate a water quality issue. These fishes are sensitive to water quality.

Watch them closely but in the meantime setup a quarantine tank. You should read this post and all the links it suggests you read: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

:)

jglas26

Thanks for the response! Yes, they are in a tank by themselves...it's a year old and has been empty for about 3 weeks now......(I moved and I ended up putting my original livestock in another system - they are not sick).

I'm pretty sure by now that they have early signs of ich. Any suggestion for "butterfly suitable" meds?

johnmaloney

catch em and treat in a separate hospital tank with copper after they are adjusted...that will work if it is doable.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like you have some in-depth reading ahead of you. Go to
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

and also

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

Hang in there and follow the directions. Don't deviate from the plan as this is a tried and proven method if followed. Don't take short-cuts or "Tweak" the plan or you'll be right back here again in a few months wondering what happened.

It can be over-come but it takes time and determination.
One other suggestion is to read this and start setting up the "process" for the future . . .
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

jglas26

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

Yesterday I dosed with Malachite Green and I'm starting to think that it might not be Ich at all.

It's day three and i'm still not seeing the development of any white spots anywhere on either butterfly - nor am I seeing a lessening of their condition The Saddle back seems to be more affected than the Auriga and he seems to be doing more a face twitch than a body flash. Looks like his gills may be a little more inflamed but it's hard to get a really good look at them up close.

I'm going to "stay the course" with the malachite Green for the remainder of the day just to be sure - but - I've never seen a fish this affected with Ich without the presence of white spots......I think I'm leaning towards internal parasite on this one

jglas26

Well.....today is day 4 and I have weaned the system off of the Ich treatment and have started Mardel - Maracyn....The fish have now come out of the corner and the flashing has significantly reduced. They are both very active and eating today.......However, I am noticing a growing (internal) blackish line that is vertical going up behind(but not under)the gills...dentical on both sides of the saddleback. Dooesn't look like a "sore" or "hemorrage" Any thoughts???

leebca

Since you've chosen your own diagnosis and treatment for that diagnosis outside those that are known cures, there is no telling for me, what you are seeing without a photo. We're hoping the best for your fishes, though. Can you show us what it is you see?

jglas26

"Since you've chosen your own diagnosis and treatment for that diagnosis outside those that are known cures......."

What???

Well, as it sits right now, I'm currently dosing with Maracyn AND Coppersafe. That should pretty much take care of "whatever" it is...

Considering the fact that they are swimming and eating well one thing that is for certain is that its not bacterial/fungal.

What has become frustrating is the fact that while they may not be getting "worse" these last couple days.....they aren't particularly showing improvement either.

Today is day 5 (of the suggested 5 day course of Maracyn)
and day 2 of the addition of Coppersafe.

I wish I could get a picture on here but I have two problems.....

1. I spend too much of my spare $$ on my Saltwater "habit" to have a decent enough camera.

2. Honestly, theres just not much to look at....no "tell tale" white spots, no inflamed gills, no sunken spots, no excess slime etc. just the random twitches....

I've been in the fish hobby for 10 years now (SW for 4 years) and in all this time, I've been lucky enough to only have to "battle" Ich or any other infection twice. On both occasions Maracyn and or Coppersafe cleared it up almost immediately. Sigh.......