New beginner

Garymk

Hi everyone I’m just about to start into this fantastic hobby. I am looking to buy a Red Sea max E260. I am very excited but also very nervous as I have no friends who are reefers.My head is spinning with all the videos I’ve watched and info I’ve read Nitrogen Cycle, fish acclimation etc etc. But it’s not quite the same as having someone close at hand just to advise you. So I apologise now for the questions that will be coming.It won’t be for a couple of months yet SO BE PREPARED..............

Garymk

I am still at the buying stage as I'm undecided whether to get a brand new one or second hand. As I've been told I may be getting made redundant in February. So that will put a spanner in the work's

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If i interpret that the right way, sounds like a possible layoff? Sorry to hear and you might be better off researching and having a list made and then once the good news comes through you can pull the trigger!

DaveK

When it comes to buying a new or used system, there are advantages either way. You can save a lot of money on a used system, but you risk having to replace some parts, and you'll usually need to really clean it up.

I have posted this before, but it's been awhile. It's the best advice I can give someone new to the hobby.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! If you have questions feel free to ask, we all had the same questions at one point in the journey & some RS member helped us along the way :clink:

Lesred

Have just found snail in tank tank been up and running for over 2 years never put snails in and just found 1 with perfect new shell wondering how it could have got there and if needs removing

Attachments

• FAB96235-43AA-4861-A7A7-77AF094F7B42.jpeg
    FAB96235-43AA-4861-A7A7-77AF094F7B42.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4

Lesred

Have just found snail in tank tank been up and running for over 2 years never put snails in and just found 1 with perfect new shell wondering how it could have got there and if needs removing
Better pic
must be a HH (hitch-hicker) I would keep him :)
nothing been added for at least 6 months and what made me spot it so easy is it’s perfect clean shell compared to hermits which blend in with the rocks

Attachments

• 81E54641-4536-4117-A69F-63AC347A48E4.jpeg
    81E54641-4536-4117-A69F-63AC347A48E4.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
index.php