New Aquarium with Major Problems Plz Help

Najay343

My aquarium is set up as follows:
less then 1 month old Oceanic Biocube 14 Gal. stocked with 15 lbs of sand (2.5-3 Inch bed) I got the sand off of a beach on Kodiak, AK. And about 20 lbs of fiji live rock.

I have the following critters in my aquarium:
2 Banded Coral Shrimp (received one extra on accident), 30+ culture of Green Center Button Polyps, 1 ORA Xenia - Silver, 7 turbo snails, 1 condy anemone

In the past 36 hours I have lost 1 Bubble tip anemone that died within 12 hours of receiving it and 2 cleaner clams also dead within 12 hours. they were both in poor condition when they arrived so i wasnt sure if that was from my tank or not, on the other hand I had a clownfish for about 1.5 weeks doing fine all along until this morning i found it dead and immiedately tested my water and found nitrite higher then .5 all mariene life that was still alive looked pretty rough when i found the dead clown fish.

In the last 24 hours AFTER the BT and Cleaner Clams were discarder I went and bought a night stand for my tank as it was on the floor before and I had gone to the beach to get 15 lbs of sand. I planed on using the local sand because the live sand i ordered got stirred up so easy and looked gross. So i took out all live rock and critters and placed them in a holding tank and completely emptied my and cleaned my biocube. I set it up on the new stand, added my own sand, set up live rock how i wanted and filled the tank 1/3 with new clean water. I then added 1/3 of old water i had in holding tank and begun acclimating as i slowly added the last 1/3 of water as new water while circulation and acclimation in process. after about 45 min i had added everything into the new tank and it was looking the best it ever had yet. I was excited about the new sand. I did not test anything other then the pH, sg and temp. at around 12 am everything looks great and normal and i went to bed. waking up at 9am this morning my condy anemone was out of the place it had been since i got it. and no sight of clown fish. I finally found the fish lodged under a rock dead. he was kinda brownish. I tested the water and found high nitrite.

since this morning I have done a 50% water change, and removed bio balls from my system, nitrites are still at >.5 so idk what to do next.

Najay343

also overall i assume that adding the new sand and completely restarting the tank combined with the fact that I added alot of new creatures recently to be the cause of the problem. although now that i realize that nitrite is the problem I am having a hell of a time lowering it.

Najay343

yes it had cycled prior a about a week ago. idk if the fact i basically reset everything makes it cycle again?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Your tank has not cycled yet and it was to early to add living creatures. If you have a nitrite spike then your still in the middle of a cycle. You shouldn't add any anemone to the tank until it's been setup atleast 6 months if not 12. Another problem your having is that you've added livestock way to quickly so that even if your tank had just completed it's cycle the bacteria would not be sufficient to keep up with the livestock demands you so quickly placed on the system. SLOW DOWN. Your going to need to conduct some water test and do some WC if you hope to save the rest of your creatures.

Doogle

Your tank has not cycled . Since you already did a big water change that should help. It will go down on it's own but you can hasten the process with water changes.

Najay343

Should I leave the bioballs out since I have live rock or what do i do about that. and will 30% water change per day help at all?

Najay343

ok ill try and take it slow. Thankfully the shops i bought them from forgive me for being new and gave me a credit that i will use when i get this all figured out. Poor clownfish though :(

All good advice^^^
Get regular aragonite sand,I'm not sure about the sand you have but it's more than likely silica sand,it feeds diatoms and algae and it will just lead to many problems later.
Once you do that get everything put together like you want then put a deli shrimp in,test a couple times weekly,and once it's cycled add ONE fish and wait 2-4 weeks before adding anything(coral,fish,etc). Also those lights are only strong enough for soft corals(I had a colt coral that did wonderful!),no lps,sps,or anemones ,I tried a bubble coral and it slowly died same with a candy cane and Monti cap.
Look into installing an algae scrubber into the second chamber ,I did ,my fish and corals loved it and it killed of all my algae.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
A DIY LED upgrade can be done for less then 300 and then you could keep any coral you like :)

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and feel free to ask any questions you might have. Everyone here would like to see your tank succeed

Najay343

I had already removed the Coralife 24watt Actinic light and put in its place "One 12'' Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight 12,000K Diamond White LED Strip" also "One 12'' Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight Deepwater Blue 453nm LED Strip" both of them together take up the One 24watt light space. So during the day i run the Coralife 24watt 10,000K, the USA TrueLumen 12,000K, and the USA TrueLumen Deepwater Blue. The two stock moonlights are all I leave on at night.

fishguy4

definitely not an anemone esp right now. like rob said u still are in the cycling process and an anemone is the last thing u need to worry about. just slow down, chill, and ask questions. it will save u alot of hassle and in the future u can avoid stuff like this :)

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

Najay343

so the sand was definitely the problem i went and got more of the sand put it in a 10 gal tank 1/2 full of water with a Nitrite of 0 and after i added the sand and circulated the water for awhile the Nitrite was as bad as my tank. In other news I have been doing about 10% water changes every 1-2 hours since my 50% water change this morning and the Polyps and anemone are finally open and out. still a little above what it should be but its slowly getting better.

blackwater

welcome to RS:thumbup:

slow=good...ive had my 29gallon tank up for about 8 weeks and just this past sat. i added my first fish, no coral just cuc and two young clowns.