New additions Betta & BTA w/pics

The only pic I could get of my Betta so far is in the bag as he has been hiding since I let him out. Once he comes out, I will get better pics. The other is of my BTA ..

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

lcstorc

RBTA looks great!
I thought Betas weren't reef safe. Just what my LFS said. I didn't research so I certainly could be wrong.

very reef safe :) ... and thanks. I will shoot more of the BTA later, its moved off the rock I got him on and settled into the middle of my rockwork and spread out.

lcstorc

I wish I knew that a while ago. My LFS had a beautiful one but now I am maxed out on bio-load.

They are very beautiful, and very shy. They do not pick on coral at all. They will however eat fish that are small enough to swallow, and sometimes pick on cleaner shrimp, but thats about all. They do not bother any other fish at all.

Techno-Vicki

RBTA's are reef safe to an extent. I have had several; however, they do grow, split, and move if they are really happy. When that happens, they end up crowding the tank and then they become a problem. I had them with my xenias on one end of the tank for a long time until I needed the space. You can create a 'sand valley' between the two sides of the tank and then they will stay on the one side. Create caves or arches for them to hide in and they are more likely to stay. This is how I kept them contained in my 125. In the 90 when I had a couple, they kept wandering. When they move, they can sting other corals. When you first put them into the tank, they can move a lot.....and sting corals. One other thing, if they are having problems, they can put toxins into the tank. I figured this out when all my xenia began melting. I fixed the RBTA's problem, did a major water change and a major carbon filtration. Things were fine.

Again, a wonderful addition to a reef tank if you set it up right and know what they are capable of. Best of luck and I am sure you will enjoy it:snshne:

lcstorc

That may be why he sent me in another direction. My lfs guy really took care of me and tried to minimize issues knowing my stock etc.
Unfortunately his shop is closing.
Found a new one and I do like it, but it is just not the same.

lcstorc

RBTA's are reef safe to an extent. I have had several; however, they do grow, split, and move if they are really happy. When that happens, they end up crowding the tank and then they become a problem. I had them with my xenias on one end of the tank for a long time until I needed the space. You can create a 'sand valley' between the two sides of the tank and then they will stay on the one side. Create caves or arches for them to hide in and they are more likely to stay. This is how I kept them contained in my 125. In the 90 when I had a couple, they kept wandering. When they move, they can sting other corals. When you first put them into the tank, they can move a lot.....and sting corals. One other thing, if they are having problems, they can put toxins into the tank. I figured this out when all my xenia began melting. I fixed the RBTA's problem, did a major water change and a major carbon filtration. Things were fine.

Again, a wonderful addition to a reef tank if you set it up right and know what they are capable of. Best of luck and I am sure you will enjoy it:snshne:

I was asking about the beta. :) I have learned the anemone lessons the hard way unfortunately.

I have learned about them the hard way too, I still wonder why I got another one after my first experience haha.

Well it seems after only a few pics, I have reached my limit on this forum .. odd, but anyways ... this is where the BTA is now ..

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

lcstorc

Did you run out of room in your gallery or attacments.
Lots of people use photobucket to store the pics or even better become a premium member. You get more space with that. :)

yeah it seems I have run out. This is the first forum I have ever been on that I ran out at all, let alone after a few pics. Its ok though as I host on my own site as well as photobucket.

I would like to know more about this premium member thing though. What does that involve?

He seems to have come up a tiny bit more. I hope this spot is ok for him.

IMG_0675.jpg

Techno-Vicki

I don't know much about Betas, but every time I go to the wholesaler, I drool and when Jack gets them in at the shop I am worse. I just don't know enough yet about them.....but I will:smirk:

lcstorc

If it is not the right spot it will move. :)
As to the premium member status it requires either a small anual donation or even smaller monthly donations. The premium members and sponsors are what keep the sight financially stable.
There are lots of details on the home page so check it out.

rebekwl

That Beta is awesome. My hubby almost picked one up the other day, I think he decided against the impulse buy though (FINALLY, hehe). Your RBTA is gorgeous too!!