New 8 gallon BioCube (New to Saltwater)

JonnyF

I'm definitly going to get one of these, along with another protein skimmer - just to be safe :). Thanks for the website! VERY HELPFUL!

Good choice. They also increase your gallonage a bit so bioload is a bit more spread out. Much more efficient then HOB filters.

Well cool the more helpful things the marrier ;)!

The 37 gallon is now Saltwater, I don't think I told yall that! =D. The Biocube is now FW with the FW fish I decided to keep. :)

You did mention it, but unless someone read all the posts, they probably wouldn't know.

That's the refugium that I have, only I have the medium size. I would think that one of those should be fine for a 37 gallon aquarium. I have the medium on a 25 gallon aquarium. That's the kind that has the built-in protein skimmer. You can get that one, but I think they have a version that is almost exactly like it that has no skimmer. You can double up on the skimmer like I did or pay less for the one without the skimmer and get a better HOB skimmer like the AquaC Remora. I actually believe a couple of used ones are on ebay right now. These tend to show up alot on ebay when people are upgrading to larger tanks that will have sumps/fuges underneath.

JonnyF

So if I got two of the refugiums, then I'd be set and wouldn't need the two HOB filters? would you add another skimmer just to be safe along with the two refugiums?

I don't even think you need two HOB fuges though it definitely can't hurt anything. And get a HOB skimmer like a AquaC Remora. I'm doing perfectly fine with one medium HOB fuge and a skimmer for 25 gallons. And yeah, you can chuck the HOB filter. These are MUCH more efficient then the HOB filter. you can have one HOB fuge and chuck all the filters. Just make sure that your tank is long enough for two HOB fuges plus a HOB skimmer. The included skimmer on the HOB fuge is okay but not really good enough, IMHO. That's why I also have a AquaC HOB skimmer. If it was a choice between two HOB fuges and one HOB fuge plus one HOB skimmer, I would do the second option. One of each. You can always add a second HOB fuge at a later time too.

JonnyF

That sounds like a great plan. I think i'm going to do the one HOB fuge plus one HOB skimmer and see how that goes. Then I can always add another fuge as you said :).

That sounds like a great plan. I think i'm going to do the one HOB fuge plus one HOB skimmer and see how that goes. Then I can always add another fuge as you said :).

Good plan. And I saw some of these available earlier on ebay. I bought my fuge from a friend who was upgrading their tank, but he got it off ebay originally. And I got my AquaC Remora skimmer off ebay. I saved quite a bit buying used. You might even post on the 'wanted' section in this forum to see if anyone has some used ones laying around that they aren't using.

JonnyF

That is a very GOOD idea! I'm going to look around craigslist and ebay and see if I can find some before I try and got to my LFS, or before I order online.

All of the equipment I have in my aquarium is used...including the aquarium. There are so many people getting out of the hobby because they jumped in without realizing that you had to put time and effort into it, that you can often find good used equipment at major discounts. I always look for used before I buy new. Even my Koralia nano powerheads are used :lol: The only thing that was not used is my thermometer :D

JonnyF

Well dang, you got some pretty good deals then! I probably should of looked around more when I was looking for a tank, probably could of found alot better prices!

My entire tank 25 gallon tank set-up that included tank, nice stand, about 30lbs live rock, live sand, MH lights, moonlights, HOB filter, and some snails/crabs/corals, cost me just $250 on craigslist. I got the CPR AquaFuge to replace the HOB filter for another $50. So my complete set-up cost me less than what the lights alone would have cost. Craigslist is the greatest! :D

molsen187

if you are going to keep your hob filters i would take all the media in their out and put in some purigen and some filter floss. the filter floss will be way cheaper than replacing the sponge media every month. thats what i have in my hob filter. i use it more to break up the surface than anything else. and i keep the purigen in their it works wonders.