New 8 gallon BioCube (New to Saltwater)

Before you use the hydrometer, take it to your LFS and have them test it against their equipment for measuring SG. They probably use a refractometer. Hydrometers are NOTORIOUS for having inaccurate scales. So while it might be saying that your SG is 1.018, do not trust that reading until your have your hydrometer checked out. I have had hydrometers that were several points off what they were reading the SG as. When you have the hydrometer tested, mark on it what the actual scale is. I have had several hydrometers in the past and the majority have not been calibrated correctly when I purchased them. And hydrometer readings will also change as gunk is built up on the inside. Often even washing the hydrometer will not get all the build-up out. I finally chucked the hydrometers and got a refractometer.

JonnyF

Hmm will take it to my LFS today then, to get it checked out! Other than that I checked the tank out this morning, seems to be doing fine. Going to buy some rubble soon and take out the bioballs. Maybe a bigger pump too. Hopefully will have pics up by Friday or Saturday. (Found a video camera that can take pictures too :))!

Last edited:

r2d2

When your tank is cycled and running, If you have to rise your salinity you should prepare new salt water and use it to top offs.
As your tank is at very begining you can drain 2 or 3 g of water in a bucked and add more salt, when its dissolved you can return water to tank. Be sure to perform this as little increments or you will end with a high SG in tank.
Greetings

JonnyF

I was thinking about doing that, I'll have to purchase some salt..Won't need much I assume. Isn't it a half cup for every gallon? Should I only pour 1 gallon in at a time?

Rhodes19

Going to buy some rubble soon and take out the bioballs. Maybe a bigger pump too. Hopefully will have pics up by Friday or Saturday. (Found a video camera that can take pictures too :))!

Your'e not going to replace the bioballs with rubble are you?

Rhodes19

I wouldn't/don't. Both the bioballs and the rubble trap detritis and that will cause an increase in nitrates.

Rhodes19

If you want you can put in a media rack but its not necessary. I cut out a piece of egg create (used as a light defuser) to take the place of the top rack. I then put filter floss on top (water goes throught it) so it can trap the detritis, and I replace the floss every 2-3 days.

JonnyF

Finally! I found my old small camera! Sorry if it's not that good of quality it's not to expensive of a camera!

Anyways I got pictures of my freshwater, and saltwater tank!

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00002.jpg

I just moved the rocks around in the SW, let me know if you think I should change the rocks!

JonnyF

Thanks :) sorry about the quality..the water is actually SUPER clear. Got some Platies, mollies, 4 upside downs cats and 4 small gold fish...they'll outgrow it soon.

Now to get my SW tank through it's cycle.

JonnyF

Well thank you, I just adjusted it before the photo. The shrimp is gone, got a test on the water at the fish store two times, and read perfect both times. Got test on hydrometer after adding more salt and its back up to 1.022 better eh?

:)

JonnyF

Also bought some bagged salt, I plan to keep buying SW from store but bought a bag of salt incase I need to add more and have more, just in case.

Are you planning on keeping corals? If so, most people who keep corals try to keep the SG around 1.024-1.026 which is closer to the SG actually seen in most ocean reef systems. Corals tend to do better at this SG.

JonnyF

Oo Thanks for telling me that..I will try and get it up to there tomorrow. Yes, I am planning on keeping corals. Any ideas on some good corals, for a beginner?

EDIT: Saw your post on the coral section, thanks for the answer to the corals :)!

JonnyF

Ok, that sounds great, I'll look at some. Don't know if I stated this on this thread already, but I decided to get rid of some of my FW fish, and made the 37 gallon a SW tank and the 8 gallon is now a FW Tank, looks much better ;)!

Got 32lbs of live rock, and 40lbs of live sand! so far.