New 40 gal Breeder Tank

RayReefer

Got a 40 gallon breeder tank on sale at petco during the $1 per gallon sale. Found a stand for a 55 gallon stand for free and purchased wood to make it a nice stand for 40 gal plus a work table
IMG_4130.JPG IMG_4140.JPG
Then I built my new canopy cover
IMG_4139.JPG IMG_4149.JPG
Built my new LED lighting assembly for maybe $10
IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4152.JPG
Then I noticed both Copepods and Anthropods
IMG_4153.JPG
I now have one Aiptasia and 6 snails as well as a red fringed feather-duster

DaveK

It looks like your using standard interior boxes, mogul bases, and LED light bulbs for you new lighting fixture.

If this is the case, you have a very dangerous situation here. In SW systems you will get salt splash and salt creep all over the place. It will get into the sockets and boxes and could easily cause a short or fire. This can occur even if your using GFI in the circuit or breakers.

You also have the additional issue of such bulbs being in the color temp range of about 2000K to about 6500K. They are usually only about 10 to 20 watt bulbs. This is not usually what you want on a reef system. A typical LED lighting system for a reef would be in the color temp range of about 10000K to about 20000K, and for a tank that size be about 100 - 300 watts.

You also seem to have used brass or brass plated hinges. This is a really bad metal to have exposed around a SW system. It is very toxic to most livestock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread so we can follow along :clink:

index.php

RayReefer

It looks like your using standard interior boxes, mogul bases, and LED light bulbs for you new lighting fixture.

If this is the case, you have a very dangerous situation here. In SW systems you will get salt splash and salt creep all over the place. It will get into the sockets and boxes and could easily cause a short or fire. This can occur even if your using GFI in the circuit or breakers.

You also have the additional issue of such bulbs being in the color temp range of about 2000K to about 6500K. They are usually only about 10 to 20 watt bulbs. This is not usually what you want on a reef system. A typical LED lighting system for a reef would be in the color temp range of about 10000K to about 20000K, and for a tank that size be about 100 - 300 watts.

You also seem to have used brass or brass plated hinges. This is a really bad metal to have exposed around a SW system. It is very toxic to most livestock.
Thanks for the reply, I am currently working on getting some waterproof fittings for the lighting and am going to cut some holes to allow electrical to pass through so that none of the wiring will be exposed to creep. I will also eventually be replacing these temp lights with something more permanent soon. I plan on painting the inside of the box a waterproof white and the outside a shiny black.

If there are any other suggestions for a new reefer please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks

RayReefer

Finally figured out how to get rid of aiptasia and it wasnt as hard as i was making it out to be. also when moving the LR I found a pistol shrimp molted shell

Squatch XXL

@DaveK Pretty much hit all of the major issues that popped up in my mind from your photos.

I would eliminate anything metal near your tank opening. Never use metal for any purpose that has any possibility of being wet. The lighting fixtures are dead wrong and I have to point this out. This is a fire hazard.

Another item to consider is the type of wood for construction of your canopy. Particle board has been known to release formaldehyde when heated. The only reason I know this is that I made the same choice years ago over a 29 gallon. It did not handle the water conditions well at all, and deteriorated quickly from "salt creep". Anything exposed to open salt water will eventually become exposed to salt. This salt permeates substances and then draws moisture toward it....which particle board readily wicks about.

What type of sand/rocks did you add?

I too keep a 40 gallon tank, and it is only a few months old. I managed a 4 tube t5-ho light fixture and bulbs for around $100. @ 36" long it is just over the edges, and I wish I had opted for the optional hanging mount bracket. You could get a dual tube light for even less.

There are endless possibilities for your tank, and they are at your discretion. From my experience, if you start out like I did I recommend keeping a "FOWLR" which is forum-speak for "Fish Only With Live Rock". This is a great place to start out keeping saltwater, as you concentrate on water params and learn to deal with the consequences of mistakes. Water quality that is used for tanks is paramount. If you mix your own salt water, start with RO water at the minimum. Most will advise RO/DI water.

Mistakes will happen. They happen to everyone that tells the truth, and even if they lie it was probably a minor thing like missed a top off of water. Do not ever let a few minor issues make you want to quit this hobby. The only reason tanks fail totally is because the owner gave up totally.

Wanting to get your feet wet is the first step toward a very educational hobby.

RayReefer

@DaveK Pretty much hit all of the major issues that popped up in my mind from your photos.

I would eliminate anything metal near your tank opening. Never use metal for any purpose that has any possibility of being wet. The lighting fixtures are dead wrong and I have to point this out. This is a fire hazard.

Another item to consider is the type of wood for construction of your canopy. Particle board has been known to release formaldehyde when heated. The only reason I know this is that I made the same choice years ago over a 29 gallon. It did not handle the water conditions well at all, and deteriorated quickly from "salt creep". Anything exposed to open salt water will eventually become exposed to salt. This salt permeates substances and then draws moisture toward it....which particle board readily wicks about.

What type of sand/rocks did you add?

I too keep a 40 gallon tank, and it is only a few months old. I managed a 4 tube t5-ho light fixture and bulbs for around $100. @ 36" long it is just over the edges, and I wish I had opted for the optional hanging mount bracket. You could get a dual tube light for even less.

There are endless possibilities for your tank, and they are at your discretion. From my experience, if you start out like I did I recommend keeping a "FOWLR" which is forum-speak for "Fish Only With Live Rock". This is a great place to start out keeping saltwater, as you concentrate on water params and learn to deal with the consequences of mistakes. Water quality that is used for tanks is paramount. If you mix your own salt water, start with RO water at the minimum. Most will advise RO/DI water.

Mistakes will happen. They happen to everyone that tells the truth, and even if they lie it was probably a minor thing like missed a top off of water. Do not ever let a few minor issues make you want to quit this hobby. The only reason tanks fail totally is because the owner gave up totally.

Wanting to get your feet wet is the first step toward a very educational hobby.
Yeah i understand that the Fixtures are wrong, it is all I have at the moment, I plan on replacing them with proper lighting ASAP. The wood is particle board which is why i will be sealing it and painting it waterproof next week. I have placed 40 lbs of LS and a small LR along with some decorative rock for now. I wont be adding any coral or fish for another 2-3 weeks to give the tank enough time to cycle. I will be adding LR as i can afford it, and will eventually get some clowns and an angle fish to go with my eventual coral reef.

DaveK

You really need about 40 to 60 lbs of live rock or dry base rock. The live sand doesn't really count for much. You can add dry base rock at any time, but live rock should be added all at once. If you add live rock later in the cycle, it can easily cause the tank to cycle again, unless you got the rock from a well established reef tank.

If you budget is tight, the dry base rock is a lot less expensive, but you do have to wait longer for the tank to cycle.

This rock is the basis of your biological filtration, and for most systems it's critical to have at least the minimal amount.

Squatch XXL

I am using a 50 pound pack of dry base rock plus some other pieces. To be honest, 50lbs of dry base rock is plenty enough.
but you do have to wait longer for the tank to cycle.
This is the truth. There are plenty of pros and cons to live rock vs dry base rock. One of the big ones is the hitch-hikers that come with live rock. It is absurd at times how much life survives on live rock, at times even an unwanted guest or 2 shows up. I have never had any issues however with live rock. For the money however, dry base rock has no water weight. 50lbs of dry rock has more mass than 50lbs of wet live rock.

It all depends on how you want to roll into the hobby. A volume of rockwork is essential. Quality lights are not.

RayReefer

I am using a 50 pound pack of dry base rock plus some other pieces. To be honest, 50lbs of dry base rock is plenty enough.

This is the truth. There are plenty of pros and cons to live rock vs dry base rock. One of the big ones is the hitch-hikers that come with live rock. It is absurd at times how much life survives on live rock, at times even an unwanted guest or 2 shows up. I have never had any issues however with live rock. For the money however, dry base rock has no water weight. 50lbs of dry rock has more mass than 50lbs of wet live rock.

It all depends on how you want to roll into the hobby. A volume of rockwork is essential. Quality lights are not.
I am working on getting some more rockwork and its kind of tedious here in NE and expensive as all get out

RayReefer

added another 5 lbs of Live rock and received a couple of hitchhikers,
IMG_4159.JPG IMG_4158.JPG
such as a snail of some sort and a sea star (Chocolate Chip, I think)
IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4157.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

RayReefer

My Haitian Anemone planted his face on the heater and burned himself last night. I moved him and found him dead this morning. :wah: