**Neptune AquaController**

Mattfish

You can do all programming through the web interface - I don't have and don't use a serial cable. It's really easy. There are some differences from the manual in terms of programming, but it's really easy.

thelastmucci

instead of getting the DC4HD you may just want to look into the 120 volt socket expansion for the AC Jr. I have and and while I haven't used it yet am pretty cofident that it will do what I need. You do lose socket on the DC8 but it's supposed to help on energy pigs like MH bulbs. The downside is while you can program that socket BOTH sockets on the expansion will run on what you program. My suggestion is to put a main thermometer on it and have a backup for when it shuts down.

fishnu

OK I'm in the AC3 club now. I am going to be bothering you all for programming and aquanotes ideas.

AC3, DC8, DC4HD, Socket Expansion and pH and Temp probes.

Aquanotes next, and a conductivity probe.

John

Almondsaz

I'm looking into the ACJr w/ serial port. For the non laptop guys...couldn't you just take the controller to the computer instead of the computer to the controller?

God bless,
Chris

Chris: I do that to update the operating system on the controller, but since my original post I got the ACIII and now use the wireless ethernet network I have in the house to access the controller. I feel really spoiled becuase it makes tweaking the programs and looking at the graphs soooo easy. David

thelastmucci

Recently got the AC Jr. and have mounted the unit on the wall...the DC8 on the all as well...have the socket expansion on the floor...went though the directions but if I have questions I'll know where to go.

rmlevasseur

I've had excellent luck with the Linksys AV Powerline ethernet adapter. Far more reliable than wireless. Wireless range never extends as far as you want it to, but with the av powerline you can hit anywhere in your house.

fishnu

OK, been busy getting my cousin on the ballot for State Senate. Now I have to get some calibration fluid, program my ac3 and move all my wires. Maybe order the conductivity probe.

Is there a way of incorporating a feeder into the ac3?

Mattfish

You can add a feeder or any other device that pugs in. You plug it into the DB8 (or DC4), and write a very small bit of programming to control the power on/power off to that plug-in. You can control by time, the response of one of the probes, some randomness, or other factors. Pretty easy to do. And all kinds of devices can be added...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
NOTE: be sure to mount the DC8 as far away from the sump or saltspray/moisture as possible. Water temperatures warmer than ambient air temps causes a LOT of condensation. Mine was so bad that the wood looked like it was crying and the DC8's had white salt on them.
Mind you, there is NO spray or bubbles from my sump... just a lot condensation moisture.
I had to add a fan to my sump area just to keep the moisture from collecting on my 2 DC8's and one DC4.
If you're not sure about condensation issues, check for moisture under your stand early in the morning; check the inside walls/doors/etc for any moisture. If you find any, set up a ventilation system with vents and/or fans.

fishnu

You can add a feeder or any other device that pugs in. You plug it into the DB8 (or DC4), and write a very small bit of programming to control the power on/power off to that plug-in.

Since many feeders are "timed" I would prefer one which feeds a little food each time it is powered on by the ac3. I found Superfeeders.com ASF-1 here. It doesn't need the accompanying timer if you have an AC.

Super Feed® Model ASF-1

HAHA even works with the clapper.

Are there any other feeders anyone knows of which work this way?

fishnu

OK, trying to calibrate my pH and either I am doing it wrong or I have a defective probe.

I removed the clear latex cover ( I assumed I should since it was airtight)
I placed the probe in my tank

It read over 12.

So I got some rodi water and some calibration solution (7 and 10)

I went to setup>ph calibration>ph>7.0 calibration
I dipped the probe in rodi water for 10 seconds, wiped it off, placed it in the 7.0 solution, and waited.
No change...12.73
Finally I hit select, selected 10, rinsed the probe in rodi, placed it in the 10 solution and waited.....................................................................................................................................................................12.73

OK, I hit select..........................................................................................................................................................Defective probe.

Am I doing something wrong or is the probe defective?

John

thelastmucci

Please get a second opinion on this however after just reading the directions the other day the only think I would do different is to not put the probe in RO water....just wipe it down and then rip open a packet of 7.0 calibration fluid. it will go up and down but that doesn't matter when it stops reading is should read 7.0. Repeat these steps for the 10.0 fluid...HTH

Octoman

John, does it give the same pH reading if the probe is not plugged in to the AC? If it does, then it's probably a bad connection.

fishnu

Thanks Mark. I unplugged and have not seen a change yet.

I am afraid the probe may have been left "dry". I purchased it from someone who purchased it several months ago but did not use it. When I removed the rubber cap there was no fluid inside. Neptune warns to keep the cap on and filled with water.

Further there is an air bubble in the sensor fluid. Is this true for all probes?

Octoman

John, try letting the tip of the probe soak in pH 7 or storage solution for an hour. Then see if it will work. That works on my handheld probe when it goes dry.

fishnu

Thanks. I left it sitting in my tank, but not plugged into the ac3 so I don't know if it is getting better.

I am out of solution so will try tomorrow.

BTW, I signed up at dyndns and port forwarded my AC3 so now I have access to my ac3 from work, and can look at the log and program......but I can't get the graphs to come up. I assume that is a just a workplace javascript restriction issue?

Does anyone know how to edit the ac3 html so that I can embed a webcam in the page?

Mattfish

Dyndns is a great thing - I didn't know about something like this and assumed I'd have to pay for a static IP address for my DSL service. Very cool.

Regarding the graphs, you need to install java - the java virtual machine kicks off every time I click on the graphs page. Also, I don't think you can modify the html.

rmlevasseur

The Ac3 requires a PH 7 solution AND a PH10 solution to calibrate. If you don't do it that way, you will get defective probe message.

fishnu

Thanks. If you read back, you will see I tried calibrating with 7 and 10.

Spoke with Curt at Neptune. Very helpful.

1) Plugged pH back in after letting probe sit in the tank for several hours to re moisturize it.
Nada. Still 12.7

2) Plugged pH probe into ORP.
Went to 0.0

3) Shorted pH socket on AC3.
Immediately went to 7.0

Next step would have been to put the pH probe in vinegar and plug it back in to the AC3, but that was not necessary.

The above shows that the probe is defective and the AC3 is fine.

So, gotta order a new pH probe. :(