Need your input!

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
I am thinking of adding on to The Stoney Reef. A friend of mine does carpenter work on the side, and I was thinking of offering a STANDARDIZED bow front MH full hood. There are absolutely no hoods on the market tall enough for MH for bow fronts. Would people buy these, they would be a bit expensive after we bend the wood and all!

TDEVIL

well, Pat
to be honest i think people would, that is the reason i didnt get a bow front, because i dont have That kinda time

i think it is a great idea

ofcourse i would feel better if someone with one would reply;)

TD

mnreefman

i dont have a bowfront but i am looking into getting a 90 gal bow... stoney id buy ne from you...

ReefLady

Staff member
Definitely a good nuche to fill. However, I'd be more interested in just the hood with no lights vs. Metal Halides included.

T

wooddood

the wood dude
patrick i think you may have something there.i dont have a bowfront either but still think its a great idea.keep bumpin up this post and test the waters. the reefers here will let ya know.good luck.

Pro_builder

Patrick, How much are you looking at for a Price Tag?
What woods are you going to offer this in? Oak, Pine, Maple, Cherry?
Is this for every size Bow front tank?

Just a few questions... that's all for now.:D

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
I was thinking of doing it in just pine initially as with stain they can match almost any finish.

I was thinking the three most popular sizes such as the 92 corner and so forth!

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
I have no clue, we are just checking into the feasibility of it right now. I am thinking not much more than $150.

Witfull

i do have a bowfront and the only available canopy is by oceanic, and personally it is worthless...in order to work on the tank it must be completely removed (lifted up and off). if you matched the AGA pine stands that are readily available it would be nice. would it have front opening doors? overall height? i would be interested. i have seen others on the web, but they were by cabinet makers and were Very expensive!!

ReefLady

Staff member
Yeah, I have a 46 bowfront and it's very unfriendly for lighting. I'm using a 36" PSL unit on stilts. The oceanic cap really, really does suck. It's all thin plastic, can't really even mount lights to it.

Price would definitely be a determining factor for me. If you do build lighting into some models, don't forget about the center brace.

sharks

Contributing Member
I agree with both Wit and Travis.
If you match the AGA cabinetry and are cost competitive then you will do great. I wish I could build a canopy or buy one for that matter for my 72. They just aren’t out there and if I ask a cabinetmaker they jack the price up since there is no market out there.
Just my .02
HIH
S

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Some assembly required. We are initially thinking of bowing the piece of pine, and having the hinge line where the bow ends, so that the entire bow part hinges up. The rest would come as precut, and would have to assemble like normal furniture you buy in a box. Shipping with the weight we are thinking would only be around $30 Since it would be like a 36, to 48" box and only about 24"wide and 12" tall. So we can get below the motor freight charges if we do some assembly required.

mnreefman

i like that idea.... could be a gold mine... id get the patened here asap otherwise someone else might steal your thunder.... lol.. of course im kidding.... imo go for it... lets say you make a few and nothing happens... well you got some fire wood and you can host a tcmas meeting with a big ol bon fire... :)

Pro_builder

Patrick, if you copy the AGA pine stand, the boards are verticle, so no need to bend the front. You just need to make a template of the curve then nail and glue the outside skin to it. That is how I did it for a friend here.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Maybe I culd return a lot of the help you have given me.