Need your help!

noon6

My Long Tentacle Plate coral has developed this split in its green skin and has not fully opened in weeks. What could be causing this and is there something I can do to save it? Will the skin grow back? Is this a disease, flow, lighting or placement issue?
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Steve

57855070ff99edbcecc5f4314dcf8b64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noon6

Just a little but the coral had already split it's green skin way before that. The cyano is on the hard skeleton of the coral

sirrealism

Is or was there a coral close to it? they way it looks from the pic is that another coral had war on your plate. If you can move it to an open space where nothing is around it

DaveK

This is a badly damaged coral, and it's lost tissue on one side, and it looks like it's effected the center of the coral.
The chances of saving it are very low. I would dip it to try to stop any more tissue loss.

If part of the center mouth is intact, you can try fragging off the bad part, but this requires a tile wet saw. You use the tile saw to cut the coral in half. You need a clean cut and part of the mouth on the good side so it can regenerate that.

noon6

When you say to dip it, can you please speak to the details of doing that? Could the damage to the coral been caused by one of my fish? I have a Six Line Wrasse that seemed to always find enjoyment picking at this coral on occasion.

sirrealism

The six line is probably eating what is dead already. When they talk about dip most mean Coralrx or other products like this. It will help if there is an infection or a pest killing it and its a very good idea since you dont know whats causing it. I asked if there is a coral anywhere around it? something could have stung it. But as DaveK said its damaged pretty bad. If you dont do something very quick I would give it just a couple days before its dead. Do you have a hospital tank. If so get it out of your display because if and when it dies it will make a big mess in your system. I love plate corals and they are pretty ease for most but I have had bad luck with them.

noon6

It has not ever been around anything else that could have stung it and the closest coral to it is a star polyp that on the sand bed. I don't have a hospital tank at the moment to move it to. I am guessing that I need to just remove it all together to keep the DT from any additional issues, right?

sirrealism

Well No because there is a chance to save it. Slim but a chance. Move it to another spot. If you can get your hands on some coralRX dip it. Have a 20% water change on hand so if it does go you can get all the remains out. Then again I have heard of plates dieing all the way and then in a couple months make a come back. Google this to verify, I think it was plate corals. They had no meat left on the skeleton and they made a full recovery. Do a water change now, Move it to another spot and be ready to do more water changes but dont pull it. I will do a little research myself and see if plate corals were the ones coming back. I will post back about what I find

sirrealism

just a quick search and i found a couple others talking about the same thing. "I have to admit I never had a plate coral but if by chance it does not suvive make sure you leave it in the tank . I have seen others sprout babys from a seemingly dead skeleton" And another post. "These will often spawn babies out of seemingly-dead skeletons so don't get rid of it even if it does die off." Ya dont get rid of it no matter what. I knew I had seen this somewhere and it was been a topic at one of my reef meetings

noon6

That's very interesting info! I will dip it and then put it back in the DT and see how it goes. I have never heard of the regeneration but I guess it makes sense that it could happen although I would think that would take a very long time don't you think?

Corvus

I have never had a plate coral, but I had a two-branch hammer that was huge. Then it started to recede, and over time there was nothing left. For some reason I did not remove it from the tank; I placed it on the sand bed and within one day I saw a tiny bit of growth--VERY little tentacles swaying in the current. I now have a very happy hammer coral with loads of tentacles. The little guy came back (perhaps my new light helped)! Give it time and see if it makes a comeback.

C.