need to nuke tank

blt93932

Hi everyone, I know it's my first time posting here, I am reaching out to a few forums to get the best advice. I have ben running aquariums for about 3 years now, I have a planted 20, a cichlid 110g, and a 90g saltwater. The saltwater tank started out ok, I added 4" of sand, a refugium, skimmer and wet/dry filter. I initially had about 8 fish and everyone did great for a year, then I added one more who hid and died, and since then it's all been down hill. One damsel survived the dearth of every other fish, I let him live alone for months, tested parameters, seemed good, restocked, great for 2 weeks then boom, one after the other they rapidly died. Blue damsel still lived! added a yellow damsel and watched for a few more months, blue damsel died during this time, (I think yellow got him) tested, everything ok, started to restock! Niger trigger, clown fish, chromis, clown trigger, bicolor angel and salifin tang. All smaller added in two groups 2 weeks apart. Everything did great for 2 weeks except bicolor angel who just hid then died. Then niger hid, clown trig and salifin covered in white spots, salifin looked blotchy. I moved them all to a quarantine tank and dosed with coppersafe yesterday. Triggers, tang, and yellow damsel dead this morning.

Since this is the third time this has happened, and almost the same way every time, I want to nuke the whole tank. Kill every possible living thing. It almost seems like I have some strange parasite/bacterial/fungal something living in there...whats the best way to do this? I also thjink I'll get rid of the deep sand bed too.

Tokalosh

Hi blt93932

Please could you provide us with some more info on your tank, i.e water parameters and so on?

Tok

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome...

The information that you've provided is a good start to try and help you out however, there are still many unknowns in order to really get to the source.

The one thing I'd like to know, is what was your ammonia tests reading throughout all of this carnage? From what you've described thus far, that would be my first uneducated guess.

If you have readings of some of the water parameters that you tested for, it may help to identify what is going on.

kyle4201

Welcome...

The information that you've provided is a good start to try and help you out however, there are still many unknowns in order to really get to the source.

The one thing I'd like to know, is what was your ammonia tests reading throughout all of this carnage? From what you've described thus far, that would be my first uneducated guess.

If you have readings of some of the water parameters that you tested for, it may help to identify what is going on.

Anything you guess is FAR from uneducated!! but it dose kind of sound like a weird tank mini cycle right? (still learning)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You are too kind, Sir Kyle!

A weird unknown disease although possible, sounds more like an incredible amount of ammonia built up in the tank to me but more info on water parameters would be helpful.

Steve L

Was it marine ich that killed all of the fish on all of the die-offs, or just this last time? You just said they were dead but you didn't give any specifics on what their symtoms were before death other than hiding. If all you have is ich wiping out your fish then nuking the tank will work but it's no guarantee that you won't re-introduce ich again with the very first fish you put in there. Some fish (like your damsel) are hardy enough to fight off ich but they can carry the parasites and keep them alive in your tank. If you truly want to rid the tank of ich simply remove every fish and let it sit fallow for at least 8 weeks and your tank will be ich free because without a host, the parasites can't reproduce and will eventually die off.

If you want to decrease the odds of your tank getting ich again, treat new arrivals with a fresh water dip or even a copper dip for a few days, let them live in a quarantine tank for 8 weeks and only then should they go into your display tank. Treat any new additions to your tank like they are toxic waste that needs to be decontaminated before putting them into your display tank. This goes for fish, inverts, ANYTHING.

blt93932

When I checked again on survivors the salicin passed! :(, notice the blotvhy skin and face peeling off.

Haven't tested parameters of dt since die off, qt tank ammonia was high but it's only a 20 with 3 casualties overnight. I did a 50% water change! clown fish and chromis still alive!

Previous die off there may have been ich, or an ich looking parasite. From now on every fish needs anti bacterial, parasite, fungal quarantine period for sure!

Do I bleach the main tank?