Need to get RBTA off rock

Ratpack

What is the best way to get a RBTA off of a rock? Mine split, but they both stayed on the same rock. It is a round rock with a large hole in the center so it looks like the letter "O". They are both in the hole together. I would like to remove one so I can share it with other reefers, but I want to keep the other one in that rock. Any suggestions?

ziggy

What is the best way to get a RBTA off of a rock? Mine split, but they both stayed on the same rock. It is a round rock with a large hole in the center so it looks like the letter "O". They are both in the hole together. I would like to remove one so I can share it with other reefers, but I want to keep the other one in that rock. Any suggestions?

Don't know how much success you'll have.

Hopefully someone has run into this themselves.

Supposedly their pedal disc buries deeply into rock cavities:

Heres what I found in Aquaria:The Bubble Tip Anemone is usually found in coral rubble, or in solid reefs. Its pedal disc is usually attached deep within dead coral. It stretches its tentacles to become sweeper tentacles when hungry. That is, the tentacles become elongated to capture a meal, then the tentacles shorten and the bubble tips return

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Point a powerhead directly at them, fairly close. They will turn lose on their own.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah, on a rock, use a powerhead. On glass, gentle nudges with a credit card will usually get them up and moving.

Ratpack

I have seen the powerhead method, but I only want one to turn loose. They are so close, they appear as one, so I am afraid both would go wandering.

reefer gladness

Another method is to use an ice cube around the foot area to encourage it to come loose. Whatever you do be very careful not to tear the foot or disc.

lcstorc

The only thing you can do is try to persuade it to move. This is usually done by making their current position uncomfortable. Other than the power head, you could try moving the rock and or adjusting the lighting in that area of the tank. There is no guarantee it will move where you want it, all you can do is try. If they are that close it may not have split entirely yet. I know I have been tricked in that fashion before.

Jetbkk

Move it to an unfavorable position, like not enough light or too much direct flow and it should move. RBTA's are picky little creatures and tend to move around until they've found their happy spot.