Need suggestion for a custom build 55 or 75 gal.

bankonit

Good evening forum friends. I seek your advice as I consider a bigger reef setup.

For the past 1.5 years, I entered the hobby via a 28g Nano cube reef tank. Reading your threads, posting information and continuing my education added to my success.

Now, I want a larger tank. Over the past several months, I read related information and watched videos, only to become more unsure as to how I should proceed. Initially, I thought another 'all in one' approach was the way to go. Now, I am considering a customized approach. Thoughts?

I am considering a 55 or a 75g tank. Should I build my own sump or is there a pre-built option you recommend? If I customize, where can I find the best DIY info? Where should I buy the components? What additional setup items should I consider? Currently, I have a chiller I wish to use. Which lighting options are optimal?

Forgive all of the questions. I'm not a reef novice, just not experienced outside of an all-in-one setup. I value your opinions and deeply enjoy this pastime.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
re: Need suggestion for a custom build 55 or 75 gal.

What's the budget? Sure lots of members can offer some great advise & suggest components for a custom build, knowing the budget will help.

Lots great sump advise here... http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Here some nice pre-built ones
http://www.lifereef.com/products.html

a couple examples:
lg_smith.gif

lg_VS3_Baker.jpg

bankonit

Thanks for your reply, nano. I noted in your reef chronicle you have a RSM 250. I thought about purchasing one. Marine Depot and Drs. Foster and Smith don't carry that one any longer. A few other sites have them for nearly $2k (seems high to prices just a few months ago). So, my budget for the aquarium, live rock, sand, etc. is $2k. I gather I am naive to believe I can pull together the initial setup and peripherals for that amount?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

So, my budget for the aquarium, live rock, sand, etc. is $2k. I gather I am naive to believe I can pull together the initial setup and peripherals for that amount?

I have always had RSMs (all-in-ones)

but lots of RS members have built out custom tanks, I am sure they can make some suggestions on a $2,000 custom build. See what others think...

Red Sea has just come out with a band new model 66 gallon RSM C250 @ $2,000
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/redseamax250.aspx?gclid=CM7F9eDKzr0CFWxp7AodQVYA3Q

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Want me to rename this thread title... to something like Need suggestion for a custom build 55 or 75 gal.

to get it moving :) I am sure several RS members can offer some advise... that have done custom builds.

Oxylebius

I've built my own SW tanks since the 90s, went through the process of buying all of the 'state of the art' equipment as the trends came and went. I got tired of it and all the $$ spent as changes in technology changed. So a few years back I took the plunge & bought an all in one and slowly pulled down my other two tanks. I want easy care and maintenance, the all-in-one tanks gives me that, along with a tank that goes nice with dinning/living room decor (open concept living) and doesn't have wires, hoses, etc hanging off of it.

So the question is - what do you want? A starting point is what critters do you want to keep and does a all-in-one give you what you need to keep them? Within your budget of course. B/C for $2K you can get a really nice set-up of your own depending on how DIY you are.

bankonit

Want me to rename this thread title... to something like Need suggestion for a custom build 55 or 75 gal.

to get it moving :) I am sure several RS members can offer some advise... that have done custom builds.

Hi - would you please rename this thread title for me? Since then, I've talked to our LFS and they can do a build for a 75 gallon for the cost of a RSM 250s, so I would be interested to know what to expect or demand. Thanks!

DaveK

I've built my own SW tanks since the 90s, went through the process of buying all of the 'state of the art' equipment as the trends came and went. I got tired of it and all the $$ spent as changes in technology changed. So a few years back I took the plunge & bought an all in one and slowly pulled down my other two tanks. I want easy care and maintenance, the all-in-one tanks gives me that, along with a tank that goes nice with dinning/living room decor (open concept living) and doesn't have wires, hoses, etc hanging off of it.

So the question is - what do you want? A starting point is what critters do you want to keep and does a all-in-one give you what you need to keep them? Within your budget of course. B/C for $2K you can get a really nice set-up of your own depending on how DIY you are.

You make an excellent point about buying all the "state of the art" equipment, over and over again. Yes, I have done this many times myself. I have finally reached the point where I will only get something for very specific reasons -

When it's going to make a quantum improvement in my system,
When the current stuff has broken beyond repair.
When the cost savings in power will pay for the device.

Case in point, over the years I have upgraded my tanks lighting. MH, VHO, MH with PC actinics, LEDs. Now each improvement was better lighting, but until I got to the LEDs, where I saved a lot of money running them, Each improvement was costly. I could have easily skipped several generations of upgrades, and been just fine.

If you do go with building your own system, consider things carefully, and buy top quality, so you will not be buying something similar right away.

DaveK

... Since then, I've talked to our LFS and they can do a build for a 75 gallon for the cost of a RSM 250s, so I would be interested to know what to expect or demand. Thanks!

Personally, I would not trust an LFS store to do the build for me. I just don't turst them to do the job right. While there are a few good builders out there, most LFS people are clueless about stuff like this. Even if I specified the equipment, I wouldn't expect them to put it together right, especially if you want any of the more unusual equipment on it.

I recommend that you build the system yourself, and build it the way you want. Naturally, ask here first if your not sure of something.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend a 55 gal tank for a SW system. Because they are only 12 inches front to back, they are very difficult to aquascape decently. Go with a tank 18 inches or more front to back.

bankonit

Thanks Dave K and all for your advice. Reef Sanctuary is a wonderful source of expertise, counting on passionate hobbyists who are willing to share their opinions and advice. I landed on a 75 gallon tank. I am working with a LFS and we've had several consultations in which we've adjusted the parameters, equipment, lighting, and so forth. We install on August 15.

Snid

The longer I've been here, and the more I dream about my future... Which usually entails dreaming about my next house, I dream of an entire custom setup. I know some people want to wash their hands of DIY projects and the added labor, but for me, dreaming of ways I can incorporate my next setup into the design of the house is a where I wander in my head.

I have visions of a tank that is T'shaped, extending outwardly from a wall and the bottom part of the T dividing two rooms. A special closet-like room that accesses the top of the T, which is embedded in the wall, where I can service the tank, complete with built in plumbing, electrical systems, cold food storage, sumps, refugiums, QTs, and coral propagation.

All but a dream at the moment though...

bankonit

The tank is in. We are cycling this 75 gallon system. On a later post, I will explain the setup and post photos. Thanks to all who offered advice.