need some help with cloudy water

blackwater

ok. so i just started my first salt tank 6 days ago. iv had freshwater for years and converted my 29g. no live stock yet,is still cycling but i do have 30 lbs of live fiji rock and 2 koralia evo 750 ph's. the issue is that when setting up i put the wrong sand in..freshwater sand. relized this on day 5 and removed it...put in carib sea ocean direct. but now my crystal clear water is horrible. i could sea nothing in the tank...no ph's no heater not even the rock. this morning it has cleared a very little bit but still very cloudy. the ph's are still on..should i turn them off? and also i noticed a small coral hitchiker(before it clouded) willthis hurt it? how long till this settles? thank you for any advice.

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctaury!!

New substrate in a new tank could take a few days to clear. Only time will tell with the hitch hikers.

blackwater

lesson learned...be sure you put the right substrate in the first time around. glad i didin't have any live stock in there when this happened.

blackwater

another thought...what about this white foam on the surface of the water. will that go away on its own? when i added the wrong sand this didn't happen.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The foam will go away or you can take it out manually. Once the bacteria blooms in the tank it will grab all the particles and pull them down and it will be crystal clear.

What are you using to cycle the tank?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Drop the shrimp dude. Scoop out the scum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blackwater

cool, will do tonight when i get home from work. some of the sand that was floating around have landed on both ph's, the heater and all over the glass(think from using clarifier that came with the sand) will wipe it all of tonight...what PITA.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

blackwater

well putting the shrimp in this morning, but the only shrimp i got is tiger shrimp(there a lot bigger than cocktail shrimp) cut in half or put it in hole? also should i turn off my PH's while the sand is settling? can't really see any sand floating in the water its just really cloudy now. it is better than yesterday though.