Need some advise!

Thumper

Hi everyone. So I'm new to the hobby of saltwater but have kept freshwater for years. I have a 30gal saltwater tank that has been up and running for about 5mos. Live rock, sand, a few fish, cleaning crew, no coral yet (too soon but someday). Here are my problems: 1. I have a calcium precip and have done a couple water changes in the last couple weeks but every morning I wake to those darn white dots all over my rock and glass. So I scrap them off and it happens all over again. How do I get rid of this stuff?
2. Even with the precip which has been going on for a few weeks my levels are good and all inhabitants are fine but I recently bought an emerald crab...I swear the thing has killed and eaten two of my turbo snails and just tonight I caught him EATING MY BLENNY! I loved that little guy/girl! Do these crabs really eat this stuff? is he not getting enough food? Any help on either problem would be appreciated.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Thumper :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

I'm not sure what "little white dots" could be :ponder2:
Maybe you could post a picture of what you see so that we can actually see & ID it.
If you can catch & remove the crab that has gone rogue & return him to the LFS (local fish store) that might be your best line of defense. I'm not a crab fan either ;) Sorry for the loss of your Blenny. :(
Instead of just saying your levels are good...actual number reading are more helpful.
Start a tank thread & share some photos, would love to see your tank & fish! Hope we can figure out the "white dots". :snow:

pablomay28

Hello Thumper :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

I'm not sure what "little white dots" could be :ponder2:
Maybe you could post a picture of what you see so that we can actually see & ID it.
If you can catch & remove the crab that has gone rogue & return him to the LFS (local fish store) that might be your best line of defense. I'm not a crab fan either ;) Sorry for the loss of your Blenny. :(
Instead of just saying your levels are good...actual number reading are more helpful.
Start a tank thread & share some photos, would love to see your tank & fish! Hope we can figure out the "white dots". :snow:
I think he is talking about snail eggs. Small white spots on tank. If it was coraline it would take a while to build up

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

+1 ^ post us some pics & I bet we can help with an id

StirCrayzy

I doubt that your crab is really an emerald, that doesn't happen often , but Diana is right, catch it quick, not worth the risk.

NickF

I've never seen my emerald crab attack my turbos, my hermit taken a couple of them out though :confused:
Not heard of them eating fish though, I agree with Diana & StirCrazy you're best off removing it before he eats anything else!

also, please take some pictures:camera:

everyone here loves pics, and it helps others when giving advice.

Good luck catching the rogue crab!

Snelly40

yah i must agree that is odd.... only thing ive seen is an emerald going after an already dead fish.. mine doesnt even look at my fish in my tank... and he better not!! haha or i'll be haing little crab legs for dinner.....