Need overflow!!

Ratpack

I need some help in figuring out what to do inorder to get water from the tank to the sump. The main function will be just to get water to the sump for the skimmer. I will have a single 1.5" bulkhead in the back of the tank to work with. I had thought about the standard overflow design that runs top to bottom and is 3 sided siliconed to the back. Actually built one and then tossed it. I hate the thought of losing that much real estate in a 75g tank. My other thought was come in, and 90 up from the bulkhead and use a 2"-3" connector as a cup and let that surface skim and drain the water in to the sump. So, what other ideas are there that do not require a lot of construction? With the amount of flow I will have, surface agitation should be pretty good if that makes any difference.

Thanks!!

coppessfam

Go to Melvesreef.com.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.htmlHe has a DIY overflow/weir

This is the design I used for mine. Works well and pretty cheap to build. The only few things I would change is to make the top more rounded enstead of square so that it doesn't trap air. I had to add a small 3.5 gph pump to keep the air out. Also make the outside box big enough to get a decent size builkhead in it. I had to put two smaller ones in to get the amount of water flow I was wanting. Other than that the design works great. It only cost me about $20 for the acrylic.

Good Luck,
Tim

Ratpack

Nice, but isn't that basically a continuous siphon overflow? Thanks for the link, but I am actually looking for even simpler things to build. I don't really have the tools to really work with acrylic. If it is the same as a CS overflow, then maybe I should just purchase one and be done. Can't be any easier than that. Although I have heard horror stories about overflows like that if they lose siphon.

Frankie

RS STAFF
You could make a coast to coast overflow and glue that to the back. Just take a 4" tall pieces of acrylic, router the teeth across the front, glue a bottom 3" plate the bottom of the front and have all the water run to the bulkhead out and down. Like an L shape.

Frankie

RS STAFF
If you like the idea but cannot make it pm me tonight and we can see what i can do for you.

JustDavidP

I've used two different methods. If your tank is clean enough and has good surface chop, you may not even need or want a box. This is how I did my 26 bowfront where a box would have just taken too much room from my display.

overflow2.jpg

durso.jpg

You can adjust the elbow up and down, or really, left or right, to adjust water level. Only problem is, if it becomes clogged, you can have a flood.

The other option is just Home Depot Acrylic, a table saw, router for making the teeth, and Weld-On. And you can make boxes like this.

Oflow.jpg

oflowbox1.jpg

OflowBox.jpg

Dave

Ratpack

Thanks for the offer Frankie, but I think I have the way I am going to do it. It is similar to what Dave just posted in his first pic. I will have a 1.5" bulkhead with a 90 on the end. Then there is a 1.5" to 3" coupling on top of that with a drain inside. It will form a basic funnel so there will be some skimming of the top and the drain inside will keep things out of the pipe. Should take up very little real estate in the tank. Once I have the back painted black and the pipe black as well, it will blend in.

JustDavidP

Just keep it clean Tim. Mrs. DavidP has often been very cold to me when I let it get grungy and got salt rings on her floor ;)

Dave