Need lighting recommendation for 50g

Jetbkk

Hello everyone.

Now that I've just upgraded my 50g system to include a 25g sump and finally ditched the canister filter, it is time to re-access my lighting. My tank size is 36"x18"x18" and I am currently running 3 T5 39w bulbs (but they are in a cheap housing that doesn't use individual reflectors for each bulb).

I have a tank with 2 anemone's and various corals, and although everything is doing fine, I think their long term health might be suspect with my current lighting, so want to change that. I also would like to buy a clam, once I'm sure I have enough light to support it.

I had a guy install the sump for me who owns a fish and coral shop here in Bangkok. The only thing he could say was that I need MH. He doesn't like T5. I was under the impression from some other comments on this board that T5x4 would be enough for my size tank, but after talking to him I'm all doubts!

Since I live in Bangkok, it is very easy to have a custom made lighting housing. He was suggesting that he build a MH setup for me, which I know would be cost effective.

Thailand is very hot, and I always worry about MH making my water so hot that a chiller is required, and I don't want that. With my T5s the water averages about 81.5 degrees with a fan running.

So the question is, should I consider building a custom lighting solution, and if so what kind of lighting should it be? He was saying one 250w MH and some built in fans would do it. I like the color options of T5, so was wondering about a hybrid MH and T5 option --- perhaps one 150w MH and 4 T5 39w?

I thought I was going to go down the T5 path and just get a better quality housing with 4 bulbs and maybe moonlights, but now I'm all confused again!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks..

Ssullivan

mh may cause your water to heat up. a better t5ho with individual reflectors will get the job done, ether a 4 or 6 bulb w/ moon lights and more fans

i run a 250 w with fans my water temp stays at 81 deg f but i have to run my ac all the time.
i like the shimmer of mh that's why i use them.

DaveK

A 50 gal tank is 36 inches long. That's a lot to ask of a single MH bulb, unless you want comparatively dark ends, with light coming in from a slanted direction. If your go with MH, I'd use two 150w or175w bulbs. Plenty of light, and it will be more even.

However, My choice for a 50 gal tank would be a 4 or 6 bulb T5HO fixture and bulbs.

TylerHaworth

Aquactinics TX5... I love mine, grows anything and everything you could ever want... Cheaper to operate, no heat issues, high color customizability, extremely high quality product...

Avianman

+1 TylerHayworth

My tank is similar in size - a 46 bowfront - 36x17x20. I have the Aquactinics Tx5 and I love it, as do my corals!

61scout80

i had 2 250 MH's over my tank. Raised the water temperature 5 to 10°F and my electric bill about $50-$100 (usd) a month. If i were to do it over I would save the long term and spend more up front for a killer LED or T5 system.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would go with one 250 watt halide and choose a color temp that is blue enough for you. You could easily get a 20 k and still have plenty of PAR for the anemones since your tank is only 18" deep.
I have ONLY a single 15k 250 watt DE MH on two systems and LOVE the color. Both systems are loaded with anemones. One is a 60 gallon cube (24x24x24) and the other is a 40 gallon breeder (36x18x16).

Here is a pic of the 40 breeder (36x18x16)
20110117pics_39_.jpg

Jetbkk

That's a very nice tank, btw!

I ended up with the 150w MH and 2 t5s and all my corals have been happy with it. For a future upgrade I could add another MH, but honestly I will probably keep going with this for a year or two and then get a much bigger tank.