need info on a eaunice worm AKA bobbit AKA palolo

fishheads

are they harmful to my tank...or are they like bristle worms,with mixed feelings on whether they are benificial or predator depending on who you ask....CAUSE I HAVE ONE..AND I DONT THINK IM WILLING TO TEAR DOWN MY REEF TANK TO EXTRACT HIM IF I DONT HAVE TO...........YOUR FRIENDLY FISH GUY

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Bobbit worms are about the largest predatory segmented marine worms there are. It is almost aways recomended to remove them. They are known to kill small fish and shrimp, etc.. They can also produce a nasty bit. How sure are it is a Bobbit Worm ?

bobbit1_lg.jpg

fishheads

thanks guys....scary i know....i think its a eaunicid worm boomer..but it doesnt look that scary...it has legs that look like a bristle worms bristles but there legs...i have seen a picture of the bobbit before the scary mandibals come out and he looks just like the pic. i saw in the coral reef field guide(indo pacific)which is eaunice sp. but i also have the pocket expert guide MARINE INVERTABRATES by Ronald Shimeck and he looks nothing like either picture...i tried to chop his head off but i think i was unsucessful...ill probably never see him again...believe me ive sat up many a sleepless night looking for the critter that has been eating my shrooms and ricordias( like the oregon reef worm)the expencive orange ones with the green centers....he was eating a dead snail and was about 7 inches long streched thin like a bristle worm but it was no bristle worm

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I'll go there :lol:

The female may attack the male's sex organ after mating, detaching it with her sharp bone plates and then feeding it to her young. "Bobbit worm" named after the well ...........you ..............know.................who the guy is :D

fishheads

would chopping his head off take care of him...or would he just grow another one,or would the head just turn into another worm..a smaller version

lcstorc

They can't grow another head. Can they? That is really creepy if they can.
Sorry, just the thought creeps me out.

dobejazz

I Watched Him Do It,and I Think He Got The Sucker.he Thinks Different.men?

How large was the worm? you may notice a rise in ammonia or nitrite if it was killed. If it was fairly small and you have a good clean up crew you will probably never know unless you see it again