Need help upgrading to a 75 from a 33

How would i upgrade to a 75 from a 33 long? the 75 will be in the same tank as the 33 long. should i add the water from the 33 to the 75 and just add more saltwater? will this make my parameters freak out? i thought about setting up the 75 in another spot and letting it cycle and putting all the water into gas cans and then put my corals and fish into a cooler while i drain the 33 and move the tank and put the 75 in the spot and set it up. i know it sounds like a lot of work but i want to do it the right way. Thanks.

sneaks03

Could you just setup the 33 and cycle it, then move things to the 33? Although bioload would be something you would definitely want to account for here IMO.

reef dummy

I upgraded a 46g to a 120g a while back, I added all the 46 water to the 120 and then made new SW. No new cycle happened and I only lost 1 or 2 corals. If you have enough LR you shouldn't start a new cycle.

DrHank

You can definitely upgrade from your 33 directly to the 75 without having to worry about a cycle. You move everything at once and top off with new salt water at the same salinity and temperature. You do not add any livestock. Your next step is to add clean completely cured live rock or (if you want to save money) base rock. You want to get to a total of at lease 100-125 lbs.

You can add slowly or all at one time. You will also need to upgrade your skimmer. My suggestion would be a Reef Octopus NWB150. You will get a lot of bang for your buck.

Reef Octopus NWB 150 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

Good luck!

r2d2

I help a friend of mine with an upgrade like this. We change half water from ald tank to new one, then move all LR to new tank, then move more water leting very small room to catch all fish and shrimps, move them to new tank with all remaining water. Finally fillup with new SW. No amonia or nitrite spike was detected since your bioload and LR is same. Nitrates went down because more water volume dilute them.
Greetings

DrHank

Big AL! I can't believe you were stumped on this one. Well, I guess that no one can know it all except for a "KNOW IT ALL". :smack:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Big AL! I can't believe you were stumped on this one. Well, I guess that no one can know it all except for a "KNOW IT ALL". :smack:

LOL! Good point! I've not had the pleasure of an actual Upgrade myself so I couldn't really lend any "credible" information (yeah I know that's not stopped me before )

:D

sneaks03

Hey give Al credit. Atleast he did not give someone bad information and send them down the wrong path as some could/would do.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks Sneaks03 :) It's all good. Doc is just busting my chops. He's a good guy and just being a bozo which is a GOOD thing :)