Need Help Identifying These

mganapa

Hello Experts,
I have these two specimens that I would like to identify.
First of these is the big orange mound in front of the mushroom. At times (usually when the lights are off), there are filter feeding type nets that are on it.

Second is the white cottony thing that is growing on the base of my Hammerhead frag. This can also be seen in the above picture just below the orange mound. It seems to be invasive as it has grown much bigger in just one week after this photo was taken. I will update this thread with the most current snap later today.

sirrealism

The first one I am not sure of but the second one is a sponge. They are good for your system but if they get to big they can effect the coral. if it grows up to the head its very easy to get rid of. All you have to do is pull the coral out of the water for a couple min. The fresh air will kill it most of the time. if that does not work move the coral so that the base is getting more light as the sponges do not like much light. I had a black sponge do this with a hammer I have and I didnt notice it until I lost a few heads. I pulled them out and manually removed a bunch and it died from being out of the water

mganapa

Hello SirRealism,
Thanks for the quick reply and advice on controlling their growth. This has raised a few more questions in my mind.
1. Is there a way to frag them? I am building an RSM250 and would like to introduce them in that but till then I would like to have them grow, just not as one massive bunch.
2. Also, is there a specific species for this sponge?

frisbee

What does that thing in the first picture feel like, hard or soft? I wonder if it might be a Fire coral.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/eb/

As far as fragging that sponge goes, you could probably just tear off a piece and then wedge it in a different rock somewhere. As long as it stays put, it should attach on it's own given time. GL.

sirrealism

Frisbee is right on. As far as a species on the sponge? Sorry there are way to many to keep them straight but as frisbee said you can just rip it off and put it where you want but make sure not to take it out of the water as most sponges die after they touch open air.

Oxylebius

make sure not to take it out of the water as most sponges die after they touch open air.

This is key w/sponges - when transferring from one tank to another keep it in water. Air pockets can get caught inside it and cause it to die in those locations and then spread and die from the inside out.

stravo71

First one looks like a monitipora. I have on that looks like that but is mainly purple. At night it gets the same sweepers kind of and during day looks like real small polyps