Need Help Asap. Fish Hurting Another Fish

I have a small false percula clownfish and I picked up a small maroon clown today. The false percula clown is a bruit. He will attack your hand if it is in the tank and he attacked the maroon clown. Can the false percula live with a maroon clown and my fish is just evil or can they not live together.

Most clownfish can not live with another unless they were put in the aquarium at the same time. Even then, chances are high that they will fight.

fivel

how big is your tank? Clown fish can be a little weird sometimes when it comes to their territory and aggression. Normally they say to either introduce the clowns at the same time or forget it, although I just added a clown to my tank after already have one for 4 years. For the most part, they get along alright... although some days are better than others.

Is the false clown a lot bigger than the new clown? I would watch them and see just what type of aggression the false clown is actually doing. A few nipped fins could just be the two establishing themselves in the tank together, but if the false clown is actually trying to take bites out of the new addition or causing the new clown to breath heavily or seem overly stressed, then you'd probably be better off taking him back. As cool as it is to have to clowns living harmoniously in the same tank... if he kills the new addition than it's not really in anyone's benefit.

Better to be safe than sorry... although I would watch them for a day or two and decide at that point. There's always the small exchange of aggression of like species when introduced into a new tank, it's just determining if it's establishing themselves or some gladiator fight to the finish.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Sorry to hear your false is being a bully... maroons are great additions to the tank.

how big is your tank? Clown fish can be a little weird sometimes when it comes to their territory and aggression. Normally they say to either introduce the clowns at the same time or forget it, although I just added a clown to my tank after already have one for 4 years. For the most part, they get along alright... although some days are better than others.

Is the false clown a lot bigger than the new clown? I would watch them and see just what type of aggression the false clown is actually doing. A few nipped fins could just be the two establishing themselves in the tank together, but if the false clown is actually trying to take bites out of the new addition or causing the new clown to breath heavily or seem overly stressed, then you'd probably be better off taking him back. As cool as it is to have to clowns living harmoniously in the same tank... if he kills the new addition than it's not really in anyone's benefit.

Better to be safe than sorry... although I would watch them for a day or two and decide at that point. There's always the small exchange of aggression of like species when introduced into a new tank, it's just determining if it's establishing themselves or some gladiator fight to the finish.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Sorry to hear your false is being a bully... maroons are great additions to the tank.
I have a 33 long as long as a 55 just a little shorter. the false is smaller then the moroon but not by a lot. My false bit the back fin his breathing is fine not a stressed breathing. my false is hosting in my flower pot and of corse will not let him near but seams like my false keeps looking for him. my false will pick on my yellow tail damsel but will not mess with my yellow tang or scotter blenny. thank you

BobBursek

It is not Emo, Clown fish are some of the most aggressive/territorially fish there is next to THE DEVIL FISH, DAMSELS!!!!! Turn off the lights for 3 days, will help with any Algae too, as I call it, Hurricane season, it is not sunny every day on the ocean!!

DrHank

Clownfish are in the same family as damsels and they act much the same way. I have a Tomato, a clarki, and a pink skunk together in my 200 gallon (96"x24"x20") and they still squabble occasionally. My suggestion would be to remove the Maroon and things should get back to normal. If you must have 2 clowns in a 33 gallon you need to get a smaller false perc. Even then you will get squabbles but the larger one will become female and the smaller remain a male.

Clownfish are in the same family as damsels and they act much the same way. I have a Tomato, a clarki, and a pink skunk together in my 200 gallon (96"x24"x20") and they still squabble occasionally. My suggestion would be to remove the Maroon and things should get back to normal. If you must have 2 clowns in a 33 gallon you need to get a smaller false perc. Even then you will get squabbles but the larger one will become female and the smaller remain a male.

The false percula is only about 5 months old. He is itty bitty. Since i have wrote the post the false has gone back to his flower pot and is acting the same as he was before so i am hoping he was just showing who was the boss. Lol. Thanks.

Maroons are VERY AGRESIVE!!!!!!!

I wish he would be but he hasn't touched the false percula. the false is the one "hunting" for him, but he has calmed down a lot. The maroon is a sweetie. He went to the flowerpot and got picked on and now he is in the opposite corner hasn't even defended him self.

DrHank

You will find that there is no meaner clown than the Maroon. It sounds like both of your fish are juveniles. The false perc is more aggressive now because it's his tank. You may get lucky and avoid future fighting but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I would suggest you take some time and research clownfish. Honestly you would be much better off with either 2 false percs or 2 maroons, not one of each. Since both of your clowns are small, I would look for one twice the size of the one you intend to keep.

Clowns start out without being either sex, as they get larger, the become males, next one will become significantly larger and become a female. The male and female may bond and become a breeding pair. They will mate for life and only occasionally squabble.

I fear that if you keep the two you have now, it will only be a matter of time till they start fighting for real. Possibly to the death.

I am aware that they start off as a "mutal" sex and the bigger one will become the female and there will only be one female per bunch. they are doing fine now. i think he was just showing him who was boss.

My boyfriend works at a pet store and they always keep clowns together. I had a picasso clown and added two more picassos and they all 3 got along just fine. I have NEVER had any problems mixing clowns. but the false percula is a VERY aggresive fish anyways. i bought him from the pet shop my boyfriend works at and watched him for months before i bought him.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Clowns start out without being either sex, as they get larger, the become males, next one will become significantly larger and become a female. The male and female may bond and become a breeding pair. They will mate for life and only occasionally squabble.

I fear that if you keep the two you have now, it will only be a matter of time till they start fighting for real. Possibly to the death.

Clowns must be male before female, so biologically they are considered males as juveniles. That's why they are called protrandric hermaphrodites - born male, turn female. As opposed protygenous hermaphrodites like angelfish.

Otherwise they would be called androgynous, which they're not. A common misconception in the hobby

in any case, as clowns age their territory grows. When it crosses the territory of another clown, trouble ensues. You need a huge tank (and 200 gallons is on the small side for this) to house multiple clown species together. May get along for a while, but they are famous for getting along for years then killing each other. If you don't have a couple hundred gallons, you should not even attempt it. It will end badly. Especially with a maroon, clarkii, or tomato

ReefLady

Staff member
My boyfriend works at a pet store and they always keep clowns together.

Pet shop fish are commonly kept in small tanks, under stressful conditions, and have very little chance to establish territory.

I guess I am a bit confused. Your initial question was:

Can the false percula live with a maroon clown and my fish is just evil or can they not live together.

Which every here pretty much answered, but then you state:

My boyfriend works at a pet store and they always keep clowns together. I had a picasso clown and added two more picassos and they all 3 got along just fine. I have NEVER had any problems mixing clowns.

You asked a question, several people provided their knowledge and experience - this likely will not work in a small tank.

And a maroon clown is extremely aggressive. (Ask the scar on my ring finger). It will soon outgrown the Perc (and your tank).

my false is hosting in my flower pot and of corse will not let him near but seams like my false keeps looking for him. my false will pick on my yellow tail damsel but will not mess with my yellow tang or scotter blenny.

If you have 2 clowns, a damsel, a Yellow tang, and a scooter blenny, you would be overstocked if you had a 75g tank. And the absolutely smallest tank a Yellow Tang should be in is a 75g. A scooter blenny also needs a failry large, established tank. How old/mature is this tank? IMO, you are asking for disaster with this bioload and mix of fish. JMO

jcgardner

I bought two false percs at the same time, introduced them into the tank at the same time and everything seemed fine. Then one day about 6 months later the one false perc started chasing the other one. He literally chased him to death in a matter of maybe 24 hours. It must have started sometime during the night and then lasted throught the day. I got home from work and realized what was going and in the process of setting up my smaller 10 gallon tank, in hopes to save the slightly smaller one, he was dead. I do not have a qt tank but this is a prime example of why you need one. Granted I still don't have one but that is due to lack of room. And all of this happened in a 30g tank with just the 2 false percs and a yellow goby. Unless they are mated I won't be trying it again.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You've been given invaluable information in direct response to your original question. This is by FAR more than you asked for (which is a huge plus) yet you want to argue the answer? I just don't understand that.

If you have 2 clowns, a damsel, a Yellow tang, and a scooter blenny, you would be overstocked if you had a 75g tank. And the absolutely smallest tank a Yellow Tang should be in is a 75g. A scooter blenny also needs a failry large, established tank. How old/mature is this tank? IMO, you are asking for disaster with this bioload and mix of fish. JMO

Teri is exactly right. If these are correct stocking and tank size you're headed for a rough road. Sorry to be a downer but you deserve to hear the truth rather than just tooting your horn for you.

Also with all due respect there is a HUGE difference between keeping fish "alive" in a "holding tank" at the LFS and having healthy, happy and THRIVING fish long term in a home aquarium. Night and DAY difference between the two.