Need fish ID

hma

Hi buddies, I'm trying to identify this fish, who can help? :eek: :fishy:

unbekannter_fisch.jpg

Thank you

1Reefer

I agree.... I have no idea. Decfinatly a deep water species..... kinda remindes me of a somthing in the hatchet family??

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Judging from the looks of that fish I would say it need to be in a dark room and tank to avoid stressing it out.

I honestly don't know but my initial thoughts are deep dark water and lost of pressure.

hma

That's unique, looks deep water.

could be, it's photographed few kilometers outsite of Lampet Street but IN the reef (15-20m deep). It can also be a brackish water species, the mangrove forests of North Sulawesi were just a few kilometers away.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Heinz

I had a fish expert look at it and he thinks, based on the body shape and mouth structure, it appears to be a post larvae surgeonfish, perhaps of the genus Naso?.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Boomer now that throws a twist into things :) I never considered that possibility.

hma

Very "different" looking fish.

Heinz you always keep us on our toes and guessing :)

LoL ... in the last few month not really often Allen ;)

@Boomer
Hi Boomer, and thanks for your efforts ;), this possibility is of course also conceivable. How do you know are just the mangrove forests in North Sulawesi one of the largest and most important breeding grounds for coral fish of all kinds.

As you know, I ID for many years for the "Meerwasser-Lexikon" fish of all kinds, but for some, I am stumped. In these more rare cases, I ask reefer in forums around the globe, not always, but often with positive results. Hopefully this time too.

Boomer

Well, I asked my buddy Kevin Kohen who can probably ID more fish than anybody other than **maybe my other old buddy Scott Michale. Kevin is Director of Live-Aquaria. I can get others to look at it also like Gerald Allen or Jack Randall:)

hma

Two more guys say the same as Kevin does, juvenile naso species, post larval

I disagree unwillingly, but I don't think that it is a post larval naso species. That the animal was too large (4,5 - 5 cm), this is no more post larval and juvenile naso tang can already uniquely identify, I have even been able to see them many times at various dives in Sulawesi.

Boomer

Just got a call from my best friend Tony Vargas, who dives in thees areas

"That is the most awesome baby Naso I have ever seen. I've seen them a tiny bit larger than this hanging out around the mangroves roots. It's funny how they darken like that. I've seen them with just half the body darken and the other half transparent. I've also seen them in groups at that age.

Who took the photo? And, can I get a copy?

That's cool thanks Boomer, you're cool too."

Boomer

I just got this form Matt Pederson a well know fish breeder and 2009 MACNA Award winner.

Post Larval Spotted Unicorn Naso Tang, Naso brevirostris
nasobrevirostris300larv.jpg

unbekannter_fisch.jpg