need a push in the right direction for lights

semigodd154

I have an 8 week old 44 gallon tank all cycled and ready to go. BUT!!! I've been away for awhile and not sure the direction I want to go livestock wise. So I want to get lights that will allow me the flexibility to do whatever livestock I want without breaking the bank now or with the electric company.:cry1: the dim. for the tank are 24x18x24 any links or advice are more than welcome thanks in advance.

BLAKEJOHN

Check the nova extreme lights. They are decently priced and will support most corals (excluding most SPS). Just be sure you buy a fixture with individual reflectors to get the best efficiency and PAR from your lights. Spend some time looking, comparing and asking questions, dont buy the first one that seems good that is in your price range. Also if your a little bit handy you can get great light in a retro kit (some assembly required).

semigodd154

I looked at the novas the problem i saw was that they dont make a 24" 6bulb fixture that i could find. And I think it would have to be a 6 bulb because of the 24" depth i'm not sure im still getting back into the hobby and I have a lot of catching up to do. If you know of any places reasonable for lights please post a link I would appreciate it. Thanks

semigodd154

they have some sick lights there. I think i fell in love with the LED set up they have but its back ordered for 8 weeks but the 8x24w t5 powermodule is rediculously sexy but the price is a bit steep might just do a 250w 20k MH I dont know shoot me LOL

semigodd154

bigal those lights look nice do you get to choose your bulbs there or do you have to have the 10k and 6500k split with the actinics? it seems the 6500k would be a little yellow. Idont know could you post picks of your frag tank lit by these? Thanks

chipmunk absolutely but if i bought the led lights no money left for beer but they are hot.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
bigal those lights look nice do you get to choose your bulbs there or do you have to have the 10k and 6500k split with the actinics? it seems the 6500k would be a little yellow. Idont know could you post picks of your frag tank lit by these? Thanks

chipmunk absolutely but if i bought the led lights no money left for beer but they are hot.

I believe you do get to chose your bulbs to a certain degree. I went with Actinic and 10k originally. Since that time I've gone to all Blue + which are a VERY blue look almost like :bluemad: and I can not get my camera to even remotely take accurate colors.

i dont believe i'll be making them i have an aversion to burning down my house. LOL

I'm sure we could find someone to help you with the conversion if the price were right :)

semigodd154

i think i may go with the catalina setup still undecided the thought of the on catalina fixture having a remote is absurd LOL thats like having a remote for an air conditioner cant see paying the extra cost.