Need a "hair" cut?

charlesr1958

Since filament algae seems to be a common problem and having seen a number of animals suggested for its control, such as hermit crabs and sea urchins, I decided that instead of draining my one gallon desk top tank and starting from scratch, that I would try to find an animal in the wild that actualy is of use.

About two months ago, I added a small live rock to the tank and within a few weeks, the entire tank looked worthy of being awarded a "yard of the month" designation. Not only did it have green hair algae, but also the red variety as well. So much so, that even the back and side glass panels were thick with it. The sand, forget it, looked like a lawn gone crazy.

hairalgae1.jpg

hairalgae3.jpg

Being that the very near shore areas here are a filament algae heaven, I started poking around to see what herbivores I could find. Noting that the few rocks large enough to remain in place looked "clean", I lifted such a rock only to find a good number of "ring" cowrys (Cypraea annulus) hiding underneath. So I collected three of them and put them into my desk top tank. Within two weeks, all of the green filament algae was gone, and as of today, there is but a small sprig of the red filament left, which as I write this, one of the snails is working on it. On top of taking care of the filament algae, they also seem very good at cleaning up the green/brown micro algae that grows on all of our glass/acrylic.

So if anyone is looking for an extremely effective herbivore, I strongly suggest you give these snails a shot at it. Fair warning though, if you have any algae or plants that you wish to keep, these snails do not appear to be picky at all in what they eat. Looking over at the tank now, I can see the largest of the three making a meal out of a "paddle weed" leaf.

ringcowry.jpg

After being in the tank for a few days, and having more than enough to eat, I found the largest of the three brooding an egg mass, which hatched out on day five and have since been feeding the tank a bit of phyto in the hopes that at least a few of the veligers make it to settlement.

ringcowry4.jpg
ringcowry3.jpg

Just wanted to pass this along in the hopes that the correct animal will be put to work instead of other types that do more harm than good, or worse, end up dead.

Chuck

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent write up Charles. Just keep in mind that something is "off" on your water parameters for it to be able to be so prolific in your tank. I'm with you on getting rid of it how you did but once all of the algae is consumed and you either release or trade the snails in (not enough food to eat otherwise) you'll only get a sudden bloom again.

I'm going to check out these guys in detail. I have read mixed reviews about them lately but this one makes them VERY appealing.

Allen

charlesr1958

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the "tank" is a little one gallon that sits on my desk and holds my seven sexy shrimp with nothing but an airstone, some sand and a rock for filtration. I also tend to neglect my water change duties and only do so maybe once every four months, if that...lol, which brings up another sore subject with me. Shrimp and Iodine, given what I just said, and of course never dose it, I just don't see it being of any concern when keeping shrimp, the seven I have seem to molt just fine without it. The same can be said of my harlequin shrimp as well. Okay, time to shut up before I start ranting...lol

Chuck

prow

nice, i wish the waters here were a little bit warmmer. i want to find some too:D

humm, filament algae huh. i agree with above, something is a miss. my geuss is the algae is what is keeping your ph stable. possible CO2 issues causing a outbreak. more flow and/or keep a window open in the office especially at night. might want to add a fan to the office and a plant if you dont have one already.

prow

hey i was thinking i want some of those. so started to look into them. found this
This species was used, along with Cypraea moneta, as currency until late last century.
i must post this on the useless fact thread.

tbittner

Hi Chuck!

I just spent an hour perusing your website. GREAT INFORMATION! I'm REALLY surprised at the 82-86 degree temp. But your reason makes perfect sense. I did read elsewhere that the cooler you keep it, the less likely disease is but it doesn't sound like you have that issue even when keeping it between 82-86.

Do you also keep fish in your tank?

charlesr1958

First, the hair algae was introduced into a nutrient rich gallon of water, which I already was quite aware of as I do feed the tank, but without any control (snails) there was nothing to stop it, or any algae from taking over all surfaces just as it does in nature when any controls are removed. Trust me, all is well in that little one gallon of water. Now that there are some controls in place...lol

Fish, oh yeah, I have fish, but not that I want them, but have to share the one tank with my wife who could care less about corals and is much more of a fish person than I am. Although she does understand that there are limits in both how many and what species. So far, there is a juvenile gaimard corris wrasse in the refuge tank, that will soon have the company of a bicolor angelfish once I catch the coral nipping communist. Then there is a dwarf hawkfish, three tangs (blue, sailfin and scopus), a mated pair of clownfish, a purple firefish and a few green clown gobys. All of which only get fed what I feed the corals (liquified shrimp with a few chunks in it) which gets dosed into the tank at 20ml a shot three times within a 24 hour period. As you can see, my wife has reached her limit already....lol. oh, and I also collect and switch out a single macro algae covered live rock once a week or so to give the tangs their veggie requirements.

liverock.jpg

and to add a bit of trivia, there is a local game played here that uses the shells of ringed cowry as playing pieces.

Chuck

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are these critters available commercially? Like online somewhere? I would love to get a couple...

tbittner

Geez, I'm so envious that you can do all of that, right outside your back door.

Well, Google isn't any help on the name of the game. :lol:

charlesr1958

Hi Chuck!

I just spent an hour perusing your website. GREAT INFORMATION! I'm REALLY surprised at the 82-86 degree temp. But your reason makes perfect sense. I did read elsewhere that the cooler you keep it, the less likely disease is but it doesn't sound like you have that issue even when keeping it between 82-86.

Thanks, and as I learn more of the reef and its inhabitants, the site will forever continue to grow, right now its more links than anything but plan to expand each subject as I learn more myself.

I totaly disagree with the thinking that cooler temps somehow helps with diseases and parasites. Being that fish, corals and their diseases and parasites all evolved together in habitats that average a year round temperature of 82, any lower temp that would be harmfull to their parasites or diseases would also be harmfull to the fish and corals as well. Sure, corals and fish can and do tolerate temps in the 70's, but at what cost? While any cost would most likely not be quickly evident, I am sure there is a long term cost to be paid. Keep in mind we are talking about fish that can live for a decade or two and corals that are for all purposes immortal. When thinking in terms of temperature, look at fish and corals just as you would a reptile. All their body functions, from their immune systems to their digestive systems are all reliant upon and effected by the temperature they find themselves within. Sure, you can slow down a parasites life cycle by lower temps, but you also slow down the fish and corals as well. Not something I would want to do over the course of a number of years.
I also have never had a fish come down with any type of parasite or disease either, simply because mine are caught and within my tank in a matter of an hour or two. Thus avoiding the disease and parasites dips that shipped fish are subjected to when placed into any number of holding tanks during their journey. Does anyone actualy believe that a wholesale warehouse that has tens of thousands of fish passing through it each month gives a crap if a fish has yet to be visible Ich on it? Its strickly get them in, and get them out as fast as possible. Of which some LFS' are guilty of as well. Although I do imagine that putting 25,000 fish into quarantine for a month when you have 25,000 more on the way would be asking a bit much of them...lol

Sorry, I got off topic as usual...

Chuck