Nashdk's RSM130D

nashdk

Finally i got my tank up and running with 20 kg of LR og 10 kg of Reefbase.
I am using RO water with Red Sea coral pro salt.

I plan to keep this thread updated with the development of the project.

It is running on day 6 today. Here are a few pictures from the first couple of days:

Day 1:
RSM130D 002 (Small).jpg

Day 5 - nice clear water:
RSM130D 007 (Small).jpg

More pictures coming soon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
nashdk - the rockscaping looks great. Good to see you have a tank thread going now. I'll be watching your progress with the others.

nashdk

Thanks for the feedback :)

Day 7:

RSM130D 013 (Small).jpg

Today I made a 20 liter water change and added 15 ml of extra NitroBac a long with 25 ml of Success Calcium.

Organisms are starting to grow on the LR. I am not sure what it is yet but perhaps a few pics can help identify it :turntable
The green thing looks like lawn grass - wonder what it actually is.. It grows on one rock in particular. Likewise I have observed a couple of worms and 3 snails.

RSM130D 010 (Small).jpg

RSM130D 011 (Small).jpg

I am not too happy with the Red Sea tester kit from the starter pack so I have ordered a Marin Testlab from JBL and a refractometer - soon I will test all the parameters to see if everything is as it should be.

nashdk

Day 10:

I recieved my new JBL Marin testlab today. What a difference it makes compared to the Red Sea Testlab. I can recommend new RSM users to buy a different testlab from the start.

After testing I found the following water values:

Temperature: 25C
Salinity: 1,025
pH: 8,0
Alkalinity: 3,75 ppm
Ammonia: 0,1 ppm
Nitrite: 0,01 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Calcium: 600 mg/l
Magnesium: 1100

Algae growth is moderate. I am still seeing Hair Algae/Bryopsis, Red Cyanobacteria and Green filamentous algae. I am running the lights on for 6,5 hours a day and will increase this to 8 hours before the end of the week.

If the water values seem stable I will try to introduce a few turbo snails to control the algae growth.

Please feel free to comment :)

nashdk

Day 14:

day14-1.jpg

Algae growth has increased. Brown and green algae has spread to most of the LR, the substrate and the side of the tank. Nitrite levels are below 0,025 ppm and Nitrate levels are below 15 ppm, so I have introduced a Skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) along with 4 turbo snails and 1 unknown snail.

The snails immediately went on a algea feeding frenzy just as I hoped and the shrimp is busy investigating his new home. Fascinating to watch!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I can't tell from the pic if you have a powerhead on the right side? If not a Koralia 1 or 2 would be good to get flow from that side. And possibly a Hydor Flo mounted on one of the RSM powerheads (usually put on the right one). More flow will help control the red cyano. But, you're going through the typical phases as the tank matures.

nashdk

Hi Reefmack. Thanks for the advice :)
So far I am only using the 2 stock pumps but I am planning to get a Koralia 1 or a Vortech MP20 in the near future in order to improve the circulation.
Is there a huge difference between the two? The Vortech is almost 8 times more expensive than the Koraliea - here in Europe..

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
naskdk - I ran a Koralia 1 for over a year and it's a good low cost option. The Vortech is indeed a high price, but has a lot of programming capabilities. The Koralia is a constant flow, the Vortech automatically switches the flow high & then low depending on the mode and settings you pick - more like the flow on an actual reef. If cost is a limiter go with a Koralia & change later. The Koralia flow direction can be changed by being able to repoint it in different directions, the Vortech direction of flow can't be changed, other than by changing the location of it. Pros & Cons for both.

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38333-vortech-mp20-rsm.html#post553974

mzreenie

I would say that if you can afford the Vortech, go for it. I bought the Koralia first, and didn't notice much difference, not much flow. So I ended up buying the Vortech later - I could have saved some money and just bought the Vortech first.

nashdk

Found this hitchhiker when I woke up this morning. It looks like some kind of crap. Any ideas what it is? And should I get rid of it?

crap.jpg

redsea reefer

I think its a gorilla or hairy crab,, either way i would take it out..The only crabs i trust are scarlette reef hermit crabs.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I does look like pictures I've seen of gorilla and/or teddy bear crabs. Not the best crabs to have in the tank unfortunately.