Nano tank temps

FishNerd

I have a bio-cube 14, with fish and corals. The tank is in a very temperature controlled environment. It stays pretty consistent at 75°f, calcium 440 ppm, SG .024, and a P.H of 8.5. I have heard of tanks in the lower 70s that temp being more beneficial? What is a proper temp, and the pros and cons of lowering the temp?

JeF4y

honestly it depends on what you have in it... Maintaining it at 75 or lower can be a huge challenge as well (without a chiller), and if you're getting temp swings of 3+ degrees, that's far worse than maintaining a flat temp that is higher.

Just my n00b $.02

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As stated it depends on what you have in the tank or more accurately where it's from.

Warmer water species don't fair so well in cooler waters and the opposite is true as well.

Stability is key to health but keeping the tank as close to the animal's "natural" habitat is also important. I keep all of my tanks about 78 -80

i believe the DO levels in cooler tanks are higher...but I don't think my tank has ever been 75...I try to keep it between 78-80. Without a chiller set at the correct temperature, your tank can fluctuate way past that 75 on a random seasonal day.