Name a Species!

johnmaloney

We need a trade name for Heterosiphona gibbesii, seen here:
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Heterosiphona gibbesii*

Winner gets a $10 gift certificate to the store and credit for the name. The common names we have come up for some of the species we sell are likely to stick as there is no other reason for this algae to have a common name, and we are the only place to get it. Most of our others ones stick, so start throwing out some names people!

johnmaloney

they got a pest algae called cotton candy algae. otherwise that might work. I think it is wrong to use cool sounding names like cotton candy algae for pests, not sure who ran that naming contest but it wasn't me! :)

I am going to use carribean ocean mint on the next bright green algae I get and say I came up with it. Thanks for the idea Dentoid! ;)

Rue

Hm...I'm kinda tired of 'creative' names...but 'Baby's Breath Algae' isn't over-the-top.

But I'd be inclined to stick with Gibbesii Algae - it's easy enough to say and remember...

Mya

To me it looks like cotton you see growing in cotton fields.
I would call it "pink cotton patch algae".

johnmaloney

cotton does look like it now that you mention it. Is that color pink? Looks red to me, and the color is pretty accurate now that I am comparing them. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.