My Tank's Turning ... Pink??

chipmunkofdoom2

Okay so my new 29ones is in it's third week of cycling and one of the seams is turning pink. It's only a small area right behind my Via Aqua's temp probe. It doesn't rub off, and it is ONLY right behind the temp probe. I rinsed out the tank (I didn't scrub it or anything) and I rinsed the equipment (again, just rinsed, I didn't make an all day afair). I googled and I couldn't find any relavant info. Nobody seems to know what causes it.

29vndc8.jpg

About the tank :
29g AGA, brand new
2x Koralia Evolution Nano (425 gph each)
Dried rock and 1 piece of semi-live rock

This just started showing up in the last day or 2. Is this something I should be concerned about? Do I need to start the cycle over?? Any input would be appreciated :-(

bshady

It looks like the start of cyano bacteria. as long as the tank is cycling and your not adding food it should go away on its own. Keeping the lights of for 3-5 days will help get rid of it faster.

DaveK

Cyano is a very soft "algae" and would rub off easily.

I'm looking at the picture, and it looks like it's almost a perfect rectangle. I'm wondering if it's some residue from a sticker, or tape, or something similar?

I'd want to get it off and out of the tank. A razor blade scraper should do it, or a single edge razor blade. Be sure you don't damage the silicon seal.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Cyano likes lower flow areas. If it is Cyano, I'm wondering if the temp probe placement is affecting the flow in that little spot - might try moving it to see if it clears up.

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks for the responses.

As Dave alluded to, it doesn't rub off, even with some vigor, so I'm not sure it's anything growing on the seal. It really seems like the silicone itself is changing colors. I don't want to scrape at it cuz I'm not sure that would get rid of it. Terry might be right, the temp probe could be causing a dead zone that might be allowing something to grow.

Here's all that Google could turn up:

Started cycle 3 days ago, a couple questions - Reef Central Online Community

New Aquarium... sealant turning pink - Reef Central Online Community

silicone turning pink !!! - Reef Central Online Community

The last thread noted something particularly interesting, that it might be a plastic-loving fungus. Non-pathogenic, or so they say.

I'll try to do a water change and see what happens. I'll see if it gets better/worse/stays the same. Most threads are like those, little information, but one person posted that thier sump had looked like that for months and they've had no issues.. so we'll see. I'm going to move the probe today as well.

More comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

DaveK

Thanks for the responses.

As Dave alluded to, it doesn't rub off, even with some vigor, so I'm not sure it's anything growing on the seal. It really seems like the silicone itself is changing colors. ...

Looks like your research on "that other reef forum" paid off, and you found similar problems. It does seem to be rare. I'n looking at you picture again, it does seem to be only on the silicone. My thoughts on this would be to kill it off there, if possible. OTOH, it doesn't seem to be causeing any harm.

I'm guessing, but maybe a total blackout of the tank for 4 or 5 days might help, if it's an algae.