My tank and its inhabitants

jellin

Hello all this is a few pictures of my jellyfish I have been takin care of for almost 2 years now. Enjoy.

uby9ajeq.jpg

uzadarad.jpg

Those are pictures at feeding time. The jellyfish are fed live baby brine shrimp every other day as well as rotifers for an even diet. There is a layer of mucus on the bell that initially traps the shrimp. As the jellyfish pulse the tentacles which are fine hairlike structures around the perimeter sting and kill the brine shrimps which are collected in large clumps.

Within minutes the oral arms which are the long ribbon like structures reach out to the clumps and begin to wrap around the food particles which travel to the stomach very slowly INSIDE of the oral arms. The stomach are the horseshoe shaped structures in the bell. They 'suck on the food for a while. Removing nutrients. Then they spit it back out. Which is then waste.

After they eat they change color to the food that they just consumed. In this case they take on an orange pearlescent color. Pretty cool to see. Hard to photograph. Its almost like a ghostly orange.

3a6una5u.jpg

uve6ebu3.jpg

My tank is chilled and filtered over twice before being returned to the display area.cold water is critical to the animals health. 70 degree water is the sweet spot it seems. I maintain salinity constantly 1.024 sg.

This value must be maintained within .001 unit otherwise they will experience osmotic shock and get really messed up! They acutally will ball up in utter refusal of the water conditions if you let it get out of hand. This happened to me only once.

I hope you guys like it!

Edit. Here is a zoomed out picture of the whole tank. And a general picture of all of them swimming around.
e2yguduq.jpg

yqydesyr.jpg

dyju9a5u.jpg

This is a picture after feeding time. These jellies are full! I rarely allow them to eat THAT much food though. Reason being increased nitrates obviously from the waste and I cant have them get too large.

Jellyfish adapt to amounts of food RAPIDLY and grow alarmingly fast if allowed to gorge theirselves.

If I fed all of them that much food for one week they would probably add 1/2 an inch to their bell. They shrink and grow proportional to intake. That is why they are so hardy in the ocean. When food is scarce they shring to smaller than a penny so that they have less caloric needs and can skate by on less food.

Last edited:

DaveK

I don't often make comments on most take threads, but this jellyfish tank is something unusual and well done.

Last edited:

jellin

Yes thanks a lot. This really took alot of hard work and so much attention to detail when I first started learning about these guys and how to take care of them.

They really arent that hard once you learn to minimize contaminants and learn good habits about keeping the water perfect.

After I bought a chiller (an overly strong one) it made the difference they needed because theyre so sensitive to temperature salinity and nitrates.

I keep nitrates in the 5 to 10 ppm range. Lots of water changes!

lbiminiblue

Yes thanks a lot. This really took alot of hard work and so much attention to detail when I first started learning about these guys and how to take care of them.

They really arent that hard once you learn to minimize contaminants and learn good habits about keeping the water perfect.

After I bought a chiller (an overly strong one) it made the difference they needed because theyre so sensitive to temperature salinity and nitrates.

I keep nitrates in the 5 to 10 ppm range. Lots of water changes!

awesome tank, do they look different under LEDs and such? even though I have a bit of a feud with these guys (they sting like crazy when you're diving, I've gotten stung on the face) I think that's a pretty awesome tank. Seems like a lot of work.

jellin

Yes I have an led controller. It changes blue red yellow white...whatever color.

It makes them look really cool. I like the white light the best though.

When my water is super clear I cant even tell that theyre in water. They look suspended in air.

The water is filtered twice over before being sent to the chiller and then returned via spray bars at the top front and bottom back of the tank creating a gyre flow. Jellyfish require flow or they will disintigrate into a gel if left in standing water. But the flow cant be too strong either.

Im really excited that you guys like those pictures. I will take some in the daytime without the leds turned on. Thats when It looks the coolest.

lbiminiblue

Yes I have an led controller. It changes blue red yellow white...whatever color.

It makes them look really cool. I like the white light the best though.

When my water is super clear I cant even tell that theyre in water. They look suspended in air.

The water is filtered twice over before being sent to the chiller and then returned via spray bars at the top front and bottom back of the tank creating a gyre flow. Jellyfish require flow or they will disintigrate into a gel if left in standing water. But the flow cant be too strong either.

Im really excited that you guys like those pictures. I will take some in the daytime without the leds turned on. Thats when It looks the coolest.

do you know the scientific name or if they go by a common name and are they worldwide? Because I recognize the four nodes at the center of the jelly. I've seen them in the bahamas and south florida, and they're so dang numerous I'd imagine they're worldwide and I'd like to know their name.

jellin

Yes the scientific name is aurelia aurita. Common name moon jellyfish.

The four nodes you see are the gonads and stomach. The female jelly will store her eggs in there. Yes these jellies are sexual. Not asexual like you would think

They are probably one of the most prolific species of jelly in the sea.

I have another jelly tank with an australian warm water jellyfish called blue blubber jellies. But thats a different tank as they need warm reef like temperatures. Thats a thread for another day though..... ill share that with you guys tomorrow.

Im surprised this is getting this much attention. Im glad you guys are interested!

I would love to start a reef tank but I have only ever cared for jellies. I think reef tanks are so amazing just stunning. I mean I am always so amazed that you guys are able to do what you do to create little reefs with all the beautiful things in there. My hat goes off to you guys. On the other hand my job is much simpler...instead of recreating a reef im just recreating midwater pure clean ocean water. Thats the trick to jellyfish. Clean clean clean water. My filtration system and chilling hardware is super complex. I have 2 protein skimmers an oversized sterilizer and then 2 biological filters 1 layer of mechanical filtration down to 50 micrometers. Not to mention my monster chiller to keep temperatures in the cold range. In the winter I let the temperature come all the way down in the 60s. In the summer I allow just 73 degrees max. Anything more and they display symptoms of heat stress. The hard part is allowing all of the bubbles to bubble out of the water because the micro bubbles generated by skimmers are deadly to the animals. They will literally tear the animals apart because they will actually pass through their "flesh" . Causing their delicate bodies to come apart.

If I had a reef tank I think I would just want coral. No fish at all and maybe a few crabs or shrimp.

If anyone here is ever think ing of starting a midwater jellyfish system feel free to private message me or whatever. There are a lot of things you have to know before starting one of these tanks, and tgere just isnt any information available on the web. Most knowledge is kept by labs and museums which is where i learned all about the care and upkeep before i decided to take the plunge. I would love to help anyone with questions. Whatever you do I have some great contacts all around the country I would share with you.

lbiminiblue

don't think I"m ready to maintain another tank as specific as a Jelly tank, but could you simulate a deepwater habitat? That would be pretty, sweet...I don't think you could mix jellies with a squid though...and a gulper eel might be a bit hard to fit in a tank...can you get the pics in the LEDs for us?

jellin

don't think I"m ready to maintain another tank as specific as a Jelly tank, but could you simulate a deepwater habitat? That would be pretty, sweet...I don't think you could mix jellies with a squid though...and a gulper eel might be a bit hard to fit in a tank...can you get the pics in the LEDs for us?

Yea im not sure if squid and jellies are compatible. See I tried once to keep my blubber jellies and the moon jellyfish pictured above together in one tank. I thought that it would be ok.

Well a couple days later I started to notice the blubber jellies acting strange...they would swim and then as soon as they touched one of the moons BAM the blubber jelly would ball up and sink to the bottom. Hed sit there for 15 minutes before slowly starting back up. This was happening to all of them. So I started to go through the regular troubleshooting process. Test water. Change water. Different food.

Anyways it didnt dawn on me until the next day that.....the moons were stinging the crap out of the blubbers 24 hours a day. Thats what was making them ball up and act sick. So I had to move em.

Theyre ok now and that behavior has never been seen since. I felt kinda bad for putting them through that but I just didn't think jellies could be stung by jellies.

jellin

e2ane3az.jpg
Nice tank!! I would love to see some pics of those blue blubber jellies.

Believe it or not...my "blue" blubber jellies are brown or red because the specie of algae living in his body caused that color. I love that jelly. They are the coolest most energetic little guys. They swim nonstop. Unfortunately they have a real short life.

My last one is 10 months old and hes about ready to kick the bucket....sad because he was my favorite. He likes to do flips all the time. They live for max of a few months
Where the moon jellies live a year or more. The blubbers have a much hogher metabolic rate. Require massive food l

Last edited: