My sump and close loop desing (pics)

funkpolice

oh, and the valve, I've heard it isn't good as well, but pumps are made to operate under head pressure, so the way I see it, resistance is resistance whether it comes from gravity or a pump. If you used it as a throttle it would decrease the life of the pump. I don't use the valve on my return line, but I have it in the event I wanted to quickly stop the water without fumbling around with power cords. Extreme emergency thing. They don't cost that much, and you don't ever need to use them if you don't have too. I would make sure you have unions anywhere you would possibly need to disconnect. Then put a couple more in!
bill

dynamite

lol, ok sooo I'll try first acrylic, it the price goes way to high ill do it glass or wte is cheaper o_O Im broke because of my tank :chomp:
for my 90 gallon how big you think the drill should be? o_O I want to filter/skim alot of water kuz my tank will be a SPS only tank.
Ill add the valve just in case of :sinking: (it already happened to me:closed:)

Here's a drawing of the new desing xD

sumpnow.jpg

erased the frag space, made the fuge bigger and changed the baffles and added a 1 inch baffles so the sand wont move of its place.

1) The Overflow T's to the skimmer and fuge (with valves) I'll be adding a sock to the fuge's end (3)
2) The skimmer.
3) Incomming water to the fuge.
4) Fuge.
5) The skimmed water will go to the recevoir (6)
6) Return pump

Last edited:

dynamite

lol. ok thanks =D well I think its kinda perfect now xD I'll just need the some PROS opinion :)

Thanks again bill.

Maurice.

dynamite

lol... if you actually turn your face to the right, you will see a face laughing. you use it mostly on msn.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here are my thoughts:

A) Can you sump handle that much water?
B) If you add a "sock" to the fuge side wont that at least inhibit some of the reasons for the fuge? My skimmer in no way could handle the full flow of my Over Flow (1200 gph) so that would create a HUGE bottle neck in my system. The skimmer needs conster level/flow or you're going to be tweaking from now on.

dynamite

Hey Al,

A) Well I think so It will be a custum sump and It will be minimum a 55 gallon.
B) Right the sock is not a good idea, but I don't want my fuge to become a detritus trap. There's no way i'm gonna let the skimmer handle the entire flow (im confuse now lol), I'm T'ing it to the sump. or shOuld I add another tube to the return section so I'll reduce the flow to the skimmer and fuge? Im clueless :cursin:

:help1:

sumpnow.jpg

Al, if you look at the draw, what would you change?
the baffles? The plumbing? anything will be nice to know

Thanks in advance.

Maurice.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry that should have read "Can the SKIMMER handle the majority of the tank's flow through it" ?

I would run the mojority into the main part of the sump and split the rest between the skimmer and fuge.

You don't over feed you wont have a detritus problem in the fuge.

Just remember that regardless it's a trial and error system. What works for one system may or may NOT work on yours.

Good luck and Happy Reefing!

It's BED TIME in the mountains:) This is my last post for tonight :D

Adam Black

Maurice that looks fine. Your good to go. Build your sump.

Hey Al,

A) Well I think so It will be a custum sump and It will be minimum a 55 gallon.
B) Right the sock is not a good idea, but I don't want my fuge to become a detritus trap. There's no way i'm gonna let the skimmer handle the entire flow (im confuse now lol), I'm T'ing it to the sump. or shOuld I add another tube to the return section so I'll reduce the flow to the skimmer and fuge? Im clueless :cursin:

:help1:

sumpnow.jpg

Al, if you look at the draw, what would you change?
the baffles? The plumbing? anything will be nice to know

Thanks in advance.

Maurice.

dynamite

Ok thanks Al and Adam, I'll call some acrylic and glass stores this thursday to check prices and Ill start measuring now :)

with which plumbing should I go?

1" PVC /600 GPH or 1 1/4" PVC /1200 GPH

SOS! :help1:

Ohhh and the guy told me he doesn't recommend a close loop in 90 gallons.. and the pumps are pretty xpensive, so im doing the closed loop in my next upgrade :tongue:

And Im willing to repaint my stand kuz the saltwater is destroying it, which paint should I use? and for the back, any spray will work?

Thankss.

funkpolice

I went with 1" on my 55 gal, and it doesn't do much for water flow in the tank. If you're intending to use the return as a source of flow, I would go with 1 1/4".
bill

dynamite

Ok soo I decided Ill goo with the 1 1/4" plumbing and before sending the desing this sunday I want everyones opinion in the last model and hopely the last one. :clink:

sumpnow-1.jpg

1) The Overflow T's to the fuge, skimmer and Emergency Exit (with valves)
2) Skimmer
4) Fuge.
6) Return pump and Heater
7) " Emergency Exit" If I notice that the skimmer and fuge cant handle the 1200 gph flow, that exit will be open so it will be less water going to the sump and fuge to handle.

Wt do you guys think??? Is it gonna work? =D

Thanks in advance. Maurice.

Adam Black

Ok soo I decided Ill goo with the 1 1/4" plumbing and before sending the desing this sunday I want everyones opinion in the last model and hopely the last one. :clink:

sumpnow-1.jpg

1) The Overflow T's to the fuge, skimmer and Emergency Exit (with valves)
2) Skimmer
4) Fuge.
6) Return pump and Heater
7) " Emergency Exit" If I notice that the skimmer and fuge cant handle the 1200 gph flow, that exit will be open so it will be less water going to the sump and fuge to handle.

Wt do you guys think??? Is it gonna work? =D

Thanks in advance. Maurice.

Maurice that looks like crap! JK. Go for it already!

Varga

Looks good man, lets see some pix of the real thing. The little bubbles coming aout of your return could be a problem :D