My setup w/ pics

jglas26

Hey guys,
Well I managed to get this thing up and running 2 days ago.

You are looking at a 10g with:

Koralia #1 powerhead
Current USA Satellite PC system 1x65 watt 10k / 460 actinic
15 lbs LR 10 lbs LS

I seeded everything in here from my old 30g system that has been up for a year.

Attachments

• PC150084.JPG
    PC150084.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 178
  • PC150087.JPG
    PC150087.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 174
  • PC150083.JPG
    PC150083.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 172
  • PC150085.JPG
    PC150085.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 174

jglas26

nope =)

although I do plan on connecting another 10g as a refugium hopefully in the next month or two.

I know that may sound a lil crazy to some but, this will be my 4th system and so far I've had some success ( knock on wood )

I've been researching "natural methods" and because it's only a 10g ( 8g after rocks and sand ) I don't want to worry about "overskim" and having to dose trace elements. The "softies" that I'm choosing are photosynthetic as well so that will be a plus.

I'm also taking into consideration that the LR and LS I have put into the system has been "alive" and established for over a year now and I've been able to maintain all my systems with mostly "undetectable" levels. With or without a skimmer.

I've also have personally seen 3 nano systems kept with success using this method.

It just means that I'll have to perform a weekly change and for this scenario it's only 1g.

Reddog170

Keep us updated. I just setup a 6 gallon nano so for me it is great to follow another along. Keep the pics coming too. Shaun

Emg

Very nice ! I really like the way you set the rock up in there....looks very nice !

I think you'll do fine without a skimmer. I've never used one. I've only kept SW since Oct 2006....but so far they all do fine with no skimming...simple HOB refugium and .....tap water..... No algae to speak of....just one little tuft of mossy looking green stuff on top of one rock. The only thing that I get that annoys me is diatoms on the glass from time to time, :dunno:

Great little setup Glas ! What are you going to stock it with ?

jglas26

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you for your comments.

Cash is tight for this week but I hope to have "something" in here in the next 10 days for sure. If nothing else, it'll just give everything a lil extra time to get "settled"

I'm not sure if I wanna get my 1st (and probably only) Clown or dive in straight for some softies =)
I do want to get my hands on some Zoa's, Xenia and maybe a Toadstool for starters.

Eitherway, I'm still unsure as to whether I want to order a frag pack from online, find a local "fragger", or just buy direct from my LFS ( that I don't like but it's the only one for 50 miles ) lol

Any suggestions or advice?

Emg

I highly recommend looking around to see if there are any reef clubs in your area. There are a ton of benefits to belonging to one. There is always someone upgrading or getting out of the hobby who has 'stuff' to sell off and get rid of for very reasonable prices. Not to mention all the advice and help you can get from the more experienced hobbiests....who, unlike here online....may just live close enough to stop by and help you out with a need if necessary. I have found that the folks in the club I belong to are more than happy to help newbies get started..and to generously share some of what they have as well.

If there's no local reef club then forums like this are the next best thing ! It's always fun to share with others a common interest ! If you can find other hobbyists in your area...it's always best to buy from them if they have something to sell. Those that have been in the hobby for a while pretty much know what they're doing and can have some really nice stuff, usually for a better price than you'll have to pay at an lfs or online somewhere.

jglas26

I've heard that there are a couple in Cleveland, Ohio. That's about an hour north of me. thanks for the suggestion!

funkpolice

If you ever make it out to the chicago area I have a bunch of xenia both white and brown, a couple different zoas and some soft corals I sell for almost nothing.
bill

jglas26

Hello everyone,
I tried to add an update of my nano but I can't add any photo attachments unless i shrink them down to where you would need a magnifying glass to see them....any tips?

They were even smaller than the last ones and the program kept telling me that they were still to large???

jglas26

I decided to create a photobucket album since I was having trouble loading them on this site. For whatever reason, my camera doesn't take very good pictures of my tank but here they are.

So far I added a Percula Clown - I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come pick up this Tang next week - 7 Blue Hermits - 1 Emerald crab and some Green Zoa frags but I think that they are too small to see in the pics......

I also think I accidently loaded some pics of my very first system also......

jglasjglas - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

sambrinar

Howdy, looks good. FYI I have a 12.5 gal nano, no skimmer or filter just LR, sand and PH, been up for almost a year (just upgraded to a 75, so it is gonna come down). You do not need a skimmer for a nano as long as you do very frequent water changes, like every week 25%.

for the picts, get a photobucket account (free) and upload your orginal picts, then under the thumbnail pict click on the bottom link the IMG code (I think) and paste it to your thread

AndtheBonus

I was about to say people are going to yell at you for having that tang in there but then I saw that you are going to give it to a friend. Good stuff! Your tank looks great so far. Use photobuckets IMG code and just past it right in your post so we can view your pics on here :)