My RSM: Endless pest algae nightmare

Hello all,

The beginning of the 'story' is in the massive RSM thread... Here is a short version: After installing a canister filter and also a few weeks of neglect, nitrates and detritus accumulated badly in my tank, first killing a bunch of snails and then hurting the corals. That triggered a massive algae and cyano outbreak. Early September, I decided to do my best to fix the problem and started to work on it:

- Removal of the canister
- One extra circulation pump
- Massive water changes
- Removed some rocks to improve water circulation
- Almost daily hand removal of cyano and algae
- Regular change of PhosBan every two weeks
- Drastic reduction of feedings: Only twice per week
- One day per week in darkness

I think I tried EVERYTHING...

I got some results: Mushrooms, snails and corals are indeed doing better but the cyano and pest algae continue to grow like crazy...

After more than two months of effort, I am now ready for the following:

Removing every rock from the tank and clean them one by one, then do a BIG water change. Basicly restarting the tank...

If this does not work, there will be a RSM for sale on eBay around Christmas..

Is there any other better possible solution???
Please advise!
Thanks

Background info:

RSM Started in July last year
2 fishes: Yellow Coris and "Pyjama" Damsel
Corals: Various zoanthids and mushrooms, Yellows polyps, Green Star Polyps, one small Toadstool leather, R. Yumas and two Candy canes
Alk has always been a bit low.
Everything else - incl NO3 and PO4 - tests at zero.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Laurent. Is the skimmer pulling any gunk out? I think I remember you saying a while back that it stopped peforming like it once did.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Where are you getting your water from to fill the tank? Are you overfeeding? Neglect of a tank will surely give you a Algea farm.
I recommend reading some books and starting a aquarium diary. EVERY single thing you do is to be recorded. This goes a LOOOOOONG way.
ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST IN THIS HOBBY......

Hi Terry,

The skimmer started to work a bit better after cleaning it and syphoning the back chambers from detritus at the bottom.

Now it seems to pull out mostly algae.

Thanks
Laurent

RSR:

- RO DI at zero TDS since day 1.
- I only feed twice a week
- My dairy is on another site... and was interrupted for reasons too long to explain here.

jnohs

if i were you i would only feed once a week. to start that seems to be what did it for me. also i would like to recomend a 2ml dose of viniger to help kick start your skimmer. i dose about 10ml if i see my skimmer starting to skim less. there is a whole library of info on viniger(carbon) dosing. I nukede my tank when i switched to vodka and over dosed and started a bad chain reaction. but the viniger is not as potent and i only dose when i see my skimmer acting up. instead of the recomended doses of a couple of ml's per day. witch i think is more than necessary. and at the same time of dosing to get your skimmer working you will also be adding a carbon source witch will allow bacteria to grow and hopefully eat some aditional NO3 and PO4 also.

I would recomend reading this. but be very carefull not to over dose it. I would read this so you understand the process. but I would not follow the dosing regiem. I recomend just dosing a very little when your skimmer seems to skim less and thats it. I think this is a very effective nutrient export system. Again I recomend viniger not vodka. vodka is much more potent and viniger is a very natural product that will matabolize in the tank much more naturally.

Also i would recomend getting your own RO unit.

between an RO unit, no feedind and a little dose of viniger once and a while you should see a reduction in alge. I think anyway.

I see that you are running phosban. dont stop i think that is good stuff.

jb673

Laurent;
Well, not really sure what to advise-my RSM, now at 13 months has been terrific! Just a few points.
1. No substrate from the beginning, although now looks like it exists because the live rock dissolves.
2. Every 10 days, a 5-6 gal RO/DI water change.
3. Hand remove pesky algie every 3-4 days.
4. Original skimmer works great, with black gunk every 3-4 days.
I have followed your posts, to include the original for a VERY long time now & wish you the BEST-Don't quit-the RSM WORKS!!
Take Care-Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

My yellow wrasse needs sand to hide at night. I cant remove it completely but I will certainly remove some.

Any other suggestions?

I am currently mixing water in preparation to the big cleanup this weekend...

Jerry: Cleaning everything will require a lot of rinsing so I will need plenty of replacement sea water therefore I am mixing salt and RO/DI water. I call that "mixing"...

jb673

Laurent;
So I assume you make your own RO/DI? What system? I'm fortunate that my LFS produces both RO/DI & RO/DI salt-I feel fortunate that quality water has never been an issue.
Jerry

Mavjoy

Is your tank close to a window? Manual removal of the algae and maybe adding more powerheads for added circulation will help reduce cyano and such. It just takes time and dedication.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good point Mavjoy on the window. If the tank receives a lot of natural direct sunshine through a nearby window that might be an additional cause of the algae.

aftbn

I had been experiencing the same symptoms, the cure was to remove all the filter media Red Sea Max filter area and completely clean it out. The carbon and bio media was covered with sludge so thick you couldn't tell what they were. Then vacuumed out the bottom pulled another 1/2" of sludge out. I also found out that one of the circulation pump had lost the bottom cover and was not working to capacity or half the correct flow amount. I had heard others say the location of the carbon and bio media bags were nitrate factorys and now I believe it. Like magic the very next day with the improved circulation, a cleaned out filter and 10% water change almost no cyano and after a couple days running none at all.

alphasierra

LaurentSeattle - Can you post some pics of what the tank looks like? I'm interested to see..

aftbn - Great advice... that will help me too!!:thumbup:

I have nothing in the back chamber under the pumps. I replaced the pumps three months ago.

I am running a small bag of PhosBan 'after' the skimmer. I am cleaning the black sponge daily.

The tank is not taking any sunlight at all.

I will post a picture tonight. I already a bit late for work...

Thanks
Laurent

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
aftbn - :welcomera I didn't catch your post in the newcomers thread, but welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! You're now an official member, and have member "priviledges", such as posting a picture in the Full Tank RSM thread (hint hint), continuing to share your experience with the tank, etc. :)