My RSM C 130 Journey

Tharil

Hi all,

Im Jon from just outside Oxford in the UK. Been roaming around the forums for quite some time but now have my new C 130 in its place so through I would share my Journey with you!

I previously had a TMC 15 Litre Nano which has been running for just over a year. been very happy with it but have always wanted something bigger! So saved up and purchased the RSM this week.

Few pictures to follow!

Anyway hope you enjoy following me through the process. I am sure I will need help along the way!

Tharil

Need 5 Posts for images! Booooo. Anyway the tank is all wet, sand and Rock in and everything up and running. Will check the water stats later.

MikeSheridan

Yeah you get used to them to be honest I heard on the grape vine that RSM are releasing LEDs for the hood in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tharil

Rocks and Sand in. About to get wet!
1zq8pko.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Cheers for starting a new tank thread & sharing your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Tharil

Found what looks to be a small aptasia last night. Excuse the spelling!

It is very small and not sure whether it actually is or not yet! not sure what to do with it as it is so small. It shot back into the rock when I went near it.

Tharil

Tank has now been running 2 weeks. Im seeing no changes in the water parameters. Checking every other day but nothing is changing. Ive added some brine shrimp and flake food but nothing is happening! Am i doing something wrong?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Drop in to your local supermarket & pick up a raw prawn (uk) mush it up a bit & add it to the tank, start testing for ammonia daily for a week, if you don't see any, your lr may be cured enough to handle the bio load & your good to add a cuc, 1st coral & 1st fish. Then start weekly wc 10-15%, plus start running some chemical filtration like purigem 100 ml bag - don't add another fish for a month is good advise.

a good :read:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

Tharil

Drop in to your local supermarket & pick up a raw prawn (uk) mush it up a bit & add it to the tank, start testing for ammonia daily for a week, if you don't see any, your lr may be cured enough to handle the bio load & your good to add a cuc, 1st coral & 1st fish. Then start weekly wc 10-15%, plus start running some chemical filtration like purigem 100 ml bag - don't add another fish for a month is good advise.

a good :read:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

Thanks for the info mate. Certainly a great read! I have noticed in the section where the outlet pipe is in the "sump" there are lots of white swimming things. Not sure what you would call them! but they are swimming around just above the black sponge!

Hopefully this is a good sign!

Tharil

Still no change in the stats. I am trying to hold off adding a Prawn to the tank as have read many stories of people saying the house stinks! Mrs would not be best pleased with that!!

I may have to go down that route yet though, still adding some brine shrimp and flake food each day but perhaps the tank just isnt going to cycle!

Tharil

The skimmer is still producing some nice gunk so maybe I should try the tank without the skimmer on for a few days?

Tharil

Skimmer went mental at the weekend. Hadnt touched anything but just kept overflowing. There was nothing I could do to stop it!
Left it off for a couple of hours which seemed to fix the problem when I turned it back on. Is this something I should expect to happen now and again?

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Still no change in the stats. I am trying to hold off adding a Prawn to the tank as have read many stories of people saying the house stinks! Mrs would not be best pleased with that!!!

Yes, the shrimp will stink up the place, but by the time you notice the smell, you should have a good ammonia source.
Once it's removed, the smell goes away quite quickly.
Put it in a mesh bag for easy removal.

Tharil

ok so I put 2 shrimps on 6 days ago and have been testing every day. No sign of any Amonia spike at all, not Nirtites. Went away for a couple of days and got back to find the shrimps have gone. I put them in a mesh bag and theres nothing left. Tested today and still no amonia or nitrites. Nitrates have risen a bit but nothing major!

Whats the next step? put some CUC in?