My not so new 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think Alveopora only has 12 tentacles on each polyp and Gonioipora 24. Hard to count them in the picture, but it's looks to be more than 12?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Try counting them. Your eyes may be better than mine LOL!

Goniopora

"Typically rounded or oblong colonies with polyps that have 24 tentacles. Similar species Alveopora, always has 12 tentacles."

Yea cant count from that pic. I should try to get a count tomorrow when my lights are on. Does it make a difference on the placement? I read that Goniopora have a higher light requirement.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Never had either, so I'm not sure if one needs lower light or not. This one is Alveopora. Both this and the above link say moderate lighting, but in a stock 130 up on top might be fine.

Alveopora

I tried counting it seems they have 12. I know they don't but there so small some seem to have more and some seem to have less then 12. More importantly now I had another ammonia spike at .75-1. I did a water change and added prime and stability and will do another water change tomorrow. I still have no idea where the spikes are coming from. I have the chemi-pure elite in the tank but is there anything else that would remove the ammonia in till I can find the source. I know there are ammonia removers you can add but I have read most of them do not work.

I just bought the intank media basket so I am going to add Purigen when I get it. I thought that might help with the ammonia.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Purigen should help control ammonia by removing the organic waste that leads to ammonia. I think you'll like the media rack!

I seem to be getting the ammonia under control now. I have noticed the last few days I have not seen my tiger watchmen. Last night I saw him behind the live rock but I think he was dead and my Serpent Sea Star was making a meal of him. I was just thinking should I take him out if he is dead or just let the star devour him? I would usually just take it out but I would have to move all my rock and then try to get it from the star.

Last edited:
Thanks

Not sure what killed him. Don't think it was the ammonia. I know any ammonia is to high but it is at most .25. I am going to wait a week or two after I have this ammonia problem completely gone and maybe try a Clown Goby.

The intank media basket should be coming tomorrow. Since I had to order some purigen I also got the jbj ato and a Stunner LED Strip Light . I have not setup the ato yet. The lights do make a very nice shimmer effect. Cant get a good pic of it with the lights on but here is one with the rsm lights off. Think I might add one or two more since the can be linked together.

sort001.jpg

sort002.jpg

I just put in the media basket with the filter floss and purigen. It seems to really be restricting flow and the water level in the dt went up a bit. I even tried closing my ball valve a little and it didn't do anything. Does everyone have this problem or am I doing something wrong?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe too much floss? I think even the empty rack probably cuts flow a bit. Possibly lowering the surface skimmer basket a bit will let more water in the back?

I don't use the surface skimmer. I broke it when I was cleaning one time and just never bought another one. I think it was the floss. I made it a little smaller and the water level went down. Thanks.