My New Picasso clownfish!

Bobbi

Hi Nanoreefbro -
Are your Onyx clowns seriously fighting? I really can't tell if mine are or not. They came with a couple of nips out of their side fins, but I don't think they are doing any damage now. They are about the same size, swim and sleep together, so seem bonded. I have moved them to a 20 gal. tank, so I can set up a divider if they get really serious and appear to hurt each other.
I have had clowns about a year now and only had one other "pair" that started seriously fighting, and I gave one away - for a smaller one for the female and they are very happy together now.
Bobbi

rebekwl

Good luck with your clowns Bobbi. This is a bit off subject, but I read before that you have alot of different clowns so I figure I might as well ask. I have a Clarki in my tank right now that is pretty big. If I put a smaller one in there for her will she more than likely kill it? Just not sure if I can take a chance on putting one in now, I have always read that if you add them at different times to add the larger one last.

Good luck, Hopefully yours will fall in love soon!! :)

matching clowns is hard... The when looking for a male (the smaller one) you want to find a clown that is significantly smaller so the larger one dosent percieve the new clown as a threat to its territory. The thing with clowns is that it is hard to find males.. I clown can change sex and once it has changed to female it wont change back... If a clown is buy its self in a fish tank regardless of size if it is left by its self it will change to a female... so the trick is to find a tank at a store with several clowns in it and select the smallest one.... the smallest one will be male, because the only way it is surviving because it has submitted to the dominant female (One or two dominant females depending on how many clowns are in the tank.) Good luck smaller is better.....Good luck its still a roll of the dice no matter how you look at it.....

Bobbi

Hi Rebekah -
I do have a lot of clowns, but I'm certainly no expert! I've only been doing this about a year, and still have a lot of questions - but I agree with George. I'm hoping to get soon a smaller (male) for a female Onyx that is alone. We'll see how it goes. I have a divider for the tank, just in case I need to separate them. I also thought I might put the new smaller one in a breeder net for awhile if they seem to have problems. Anyone with any suggestions on that? I have added a small black and white ocellaris to a bigger female before and they had no problems. Didn't even threaten each other. Guess I was lucky. My others are juveniles, or I got them as a pair. (A WC pair from Live Aquaria.com - Onyx).
Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Bobbi

Nanoreefbro

Hi Nanoreefbro -
Are your Onyx clowns seriously fighting? I really can't tell if mine are or not. They came with a couple of nips out of their side fins, but I don't think they are doing any damage now. They are about the same size, swim and sleep together, so seem bonded. I have moved them to a 20 gal. tank, so I can set up a divider if they get really serious and appear to hurt each other.
I have had clowns about a year now and only had one other "pair" that started seriously fighting, and I gave one away - for a smaller one for the female and they are very happy together now.
Bobbi

I saw them fighting seriously that first night.. Their fins are still intact but I noticed around the mouth it's white instead of orange on one of them. I know one started hosting in the frogspawn right away so I dont know if his scars are because of that or fighting...

rebekwl

Thanks alot guys! I will out them together and observe for a while to see how the female reacts. I'm almost positive I have a femal, because she's pretty large and keeps making holes in the sand like she's trying to make a nest. I have read that they will do this even without a male present. I have a fuge as well as a QT, so I will put the female in there if I have any problems. I will let you know how it goes when I finally get around to buiying another. Thanks!

Craig Manoukian

Rebekah,

I've never seen clowns lay eggs on the sand, but rather on hard flat surfaces. Not sure that is nesting behavior especially if they haven't officially paired up.

Is the female sporting a big diamond ring or received flowers lately? Only the sure way to tell.

GSMguy

nice clowns i saw that pair on the website
i had my LFS order me a pair but one has a smushed face so i turned them down :(

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm almost positive I have a femal, because she's pretty large and keeps making holes in the sand like she's trying to make a nest. I have read that they will do this even without a male present.

judicially cleaning away the loose substrata in hopes of finding a suitable nesting site. This antic can begin as early as a year or sooner into their development, months or years prior to her actually becoming ready to release her eggs for the first time. Using her tail, the female will beat away at the sand, sending up large clouds of dust and sediment. It is not unusual for a female clownfish to reach the bottom glass in aquariums with over 5 or 6 inches of sediment. Surely this can become a logistical nightmare in a reef aquarium as the sand substrate will begin to take on all sorts of new shapes, hills, and valleys. This “house cleaning” of sorts will continue until she has uncovered a hard substrate of which she finds suitable to lay her eggs upon. At this point, the attention will then switch from procuring a nesting area to maintaining the nesting area. However, the tail-beating antics will not stop once the area has been defined. Instead, the female will continue to tail-beat the substrate, gradually increasing the overall size as well as ensuring the area does not become covered back over with sand. She will also become more ferocious as she defends this area from intruders, gradually getting worse until the time comes to release her eggs.

ReefSlides - October 03 - Amphiprion Antics!

BEELZEBOB

those are the tightest clown i have ever seen. i really dont care for clowns, but, WOW, those are freggin awsome.

if you dont mind me asking, whadda those run ya?

Bobbi

Hi Boozeman -
I don't have any more pics, other than the one posted, since I only can take pictures with my cell phone camera and those are pretty bad. The one I posted (with help) came from Scott's website, Aquarium Specialty. It was his picture. Sorry.
Do you have any pics?
Bolbbi

boozeman

I've taken plenty of pics with my cell phone before I got a camera !
If you have trouble posting them just email them to me and I will post them up for ya

Bobbi

Thanks, I'll try it. I finally figured out how to e-mail them to myself, but am having trouble posting. Have tried to post a picture of a Jigsaw Onyx that I have, but can't get it to post to the Gallery. I gave up on that one.
Thanks,
Bobbi

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks, I'll try it. I finally figured out how to e-mail them to myself, but am having trouble posting. Have tried to post a picture of a Jigsaw Onyx that I have, but can't get it to post to the Gallery. I gave up on that one.
Thanks,
Bobbi

Bobbi, email the pic to me and I will upload it for you. mrsdoni@nc.rr.com